Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary extract help please.

Rita Griffiths

Hello my grandfather was with the RWF 11th service batt,67th Brigade 22nd div, extractracts from a month of their War Diary which I have date 1/12/1915 -31/12/1915 mention names of places I am not sure where on the Salonika Map they were .

Dec 15 Marching to dig a line of entrenchments N of the Matterhorn

Dec 16 work started by Bde between Redan and Furze Hill ? or Mills new line of entrenchment fixed for 67 th Bde

Dec 17 Batt employed on making road from Pirnar to Akbunar

Dec 18 2nd Liet Hybart and 6 men relive 2nd Liet Evans and his party on the Matterhorn

Other names metioned are Plough and Redan

I have not seen Matterhorn mentioned in anything I have read so where was it hope someone can help did they just name some mountain that because it looked like the " MATTERHORN "

Regards Rita43

Thee are some Austrian maps of the period on-line and the map you need is HERE, though if you really want to see the area in detail you'd do a lot worse than buy the Salonika Campaign Society's disk of British and French maps. The one you need there is Samli.

Akbunar is NNE of Daut Bali, to the NW of Salonika. Pirnar is roughly north of Akbunar, near Daudli, but the position on the Austrian map is further west than on the British map, where it is on the road from Baldza to Daudli rather than being a mountain top. The Matterhorn is just to the NE of Daudli and is, I think, the point marked 325 metres. I can't see the other places but it would make sense that they were in the same area.

Keith

Hi Rita

The SCS map cd also includes a blue print of defences in the area of The Matterhorn. This should help you locate some of the other positions mentioned. Btw - did you read my PM re republication of 'Under the Devil's Eye'?

ALAN

Looking at the blueprint, Redan Hill is about 3,000 yards east of Pirnar. Plough Hill is about 1,500 yards south of Redan Hill and there is a line of trenches between the two. I still can't find anything called Furze.

Keith

Hi Rita

The SCS map cd also includes a blue print of defences in the area of The Matterhorn. This should help you locate some of the other positions mentioned. Btw - did you read my PM re republication of 'Under the Devil's Eye'?

ALAN

Alan sorry I have not seen you PM but my library as obtained a copy of your book and I am enjoying reading it at the moment .Rita

Excellent Rita.

Btw - I shall be heading out to the Salonika battlefields in May with a group, inc some GWF members. It will be my 12th visit - I think - been out there so many times now I'm losing count!!!