Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Light Horse action

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

Is this a well known action? Any Light Horsers out there recognise the incidents? Hope it is of some use to Aussies.

des

Lt. J. M. Boyd, Australian Light Horse, is promoted to the rank of captain for distinguished service and gallantry in the field during the recent Palestine Operations.

The squadron of which he was in command carried out their work very successfully, capturing two guns and many prisoners. Later, he with 60 men, rode down an enemy convoy and cut through them, capturing 350 prisoners and several wagons.

Captain Boyd joined the Light Horse as a private in September 1914 and has since been on active service. He was wounded at Gallipoli. He is a son of Mrs. W. Boyd, Waveney Road, Ballymena.

Ballymena Observer December 28, 1917

James McLelland BOYD appears to have finished the war at Major James McLelland BOYD MC, 5th Light Horse Regiment. Enlisted 19/09/1914 Discharged 27/06/1919.

Try searching the following database. I can't as my work computer doesn't have cookies. It should have his MC recommendation which is probably the action referred to.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/awm28/index.asp

There are also a couple of photo's of him in the Collection Database on the AWM site.

1. ID Number: P01541.003

Physical description: Black & white

Summary: ROMANI AREA. 1916-11. GROUP PORTRAIT OF MEMBERS OF THE 5TH AUSTRALIAN LIGHT HORSE REGIMENT. LEFT TO RIGHT: BACK ROW: CAPTAIN (CAPT) RICHARD STEWART BILLINGTON, ?, ?, MAJOR JOHN MCCLELAND BOYD, CAPT GEORGE HICKS, LIEUTENANT (LT) BERNARD RADCLIFF; MIDDLE ROW: LT CYRIL ERNEST SCOTT, LIEUTENANT COLONEL (LT COL) LACHLAN CHISHOLM WILSON, LT COL DONALD CHARLES CAMERON, MAJOR ARCHDALE GEORGE BOLINGBROKE; FRONT ROW: MAJOR ROBERT HAROLD NIMMO, LT DAVID BLAKENEY BROUGHTON, CAPT ERNEST ALFRED FIELD STANFIELD, LT FREDERICK ANTHONY JAMES W. TAYLOR. (ORIGINAL PRINT IN AWM ARCHIVE STORE) (DONOR JOHN OXLEY LIBRARY)

2. ID Number: B00991

Maker: Unknown

Place made: Semakh

Date made: February 1919

Physical description: Black & white

Summary: Informal portrait of Major J M Boyd MC of the 5th Australian Light Horse Regiment, sitting on a rock.

(Electronic image not available)

post-5-1088116369.jpg

I reckon this is him when he was a Sgt. Many thanks BlackBlue!

Des

post-5-1088116566.jpg

My apologies.....it is John McLelland BOYD...not James.

Have a good look at the embarkation rolls, wounded and missing file etc. on the AWM site of you want to find more personal information on him.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/biographical.asp

Also try this.

http://www.lighthorse.org.au/military/whowere.htm

And Volume VII the official history.

Major J.McL. BOYD of Rockhampton, Queensland born Ahoghill County Antrim Ireland is mentioned on pages 438, 673 and 722. The incident you mention is detailed on page 438. he was a Captain at the time.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/7/page.asp?gotopage=438

To look at the other pages just input the page number at the top of the page.

Cheers

Tim D

The unit history should also have something about BOYD.

5th Light Horse Regiment

Wilson, L. C. (Lachlan Chisholm); Wetherell, H (Henry). History of the Fifth Light Horse Regiment (Australian Imperial Force) from 1914 to October, 1917 and from October, 1917 to June, 1919. (Sydney : Motor Press of Australia Limited, 1926)

I don't have it myself...main interest is infantry....but someone else on the forum may. Stevebec is the light horse man....do you have it mate?

TD

Guest stevenbec

Yes Mate,

The Unit history has a number of Ref's to him during the war. If you need them I can photo copy.

But the book has no index so without going threw it to find them it may take some time.

S.B

Guest dinkidi

G'day Des

Trooper Ion L Idriess of the 5th ALH wrote of his experiences, from Gallipoli to 3rd Gaza, in his book "the Desert Column". He was present during the actions of "Your Man" and gives a pretty lively account of it. I will try and extract some "good bits"

ooRoo

Pat

PS I knew Simpson wasn't a "Local", but it looks like the cream of the AIF musta come from Ireland. ;)

Guest Desmond6

Many many thanks to all you Diggers for digging up so much info in such a short space of time.

In return, I will try and post pics of an as many Down Under types as poss. in the near future. Who knows they might be of some help to you guys!

Thanks very, very much.

If you have any queries about soldiers who originated in the Co. Antrim area of Northern Ireland just post-up. I'll give it a go.

... and to Pat Dink ... did you get an off-forum e-mail from me?

Guest Desmond6

Looking back on my 'Items about our local soldiers' files, I found this! The explanations at the bottom are for a local history publication by the way.

SERGEANT J.M. Boyd, son of Mrs. Boyd, Kinhilt Street, Ballymena, who joined the 5th Australian Light Horse at the outbreak of war, has been promoted to 2nd Lt. in the same regiment. Mr. Boyd was in hospital for some time in Malta suffering from a fractured skull, but has now rejoined the Australian Forces. He has a brother also with the Australian Forces. (Anyone who has seen the film 'Gallipoli' starring Mel Gibson will realise this is the unit featured in the movie. Another movie, 'The Light Horsemen' was also made to celebrate the achievements of the famous regiment.)

Ballymena Observer, April 14, 1916

and this guy ....

STAFF Sergeant Major R. J. McCaw of the Australian Light Horse, has been given a commission in an Australian Infantry regiment. Lt. McCaw is a Ballymena man and was engaged for some time in the post office, subsequently joining the Royal Irish Rifles with which he served through the South African war.

He proceeded with his regiment to India at the conclusion of hostilities. He was settled with his family in Adelaide when the present war broke out and at once volunteered, coming to Europe wth the first contingent of the Australians. He was wounded in the landing at Suvla and for some time recuperated with friends in Ireland before again proceeding to the front.

Ballymena Observer, June 2, 1916

• 2 weeks later...

If you come across any more from the Co. Antrim area - outside Belfast - I'll see what I have.

Cheers Des

Major Boyd (Military Cross, twice Mentioned in despatches) was originally an acting sergeant in B Sqn., 5th Light Horse Regiment. He's referred to in the official Light Horse History (Gullett) on pages 438, 673, and 722.

He was a salesman, of Cannan & Peterson, Longreach, Queensland. Longreach must have been a rough place then. It was bad enough when I lived out that way in the 1980's.

From the 5th Light Horse History (Wilson p82-3):

"On the 19th August [1916 ]the Regiment moved out at 2 a.m. on reconnaissance to Ganadil and Geisi, aeroplanes having reported that there were small parties of hostile camel-men at these places the previous day. The Regiment marched direct to Salmana, then two miles due East, then swung round to come in on Ganadil from the rear. Ganadil was found all clear of the enemy. “C” Squadron, under Lieutenant Boyd, then proceeded to reconnoitre Geisi, which was also found to be clear. An observation post on the left flank Trooper Axelson of "B" Squadron-having reported seeing two or three men moving on the edge of the Bardawill, five miles north-east of Salmana, “C” Squadron was sent out to investigate, it being thought that they were hostile Bedouin. The remainder of the Regiment, after watering at Ganadil, returned to Salmana to feed horses. At 1.30 p.m., a message was received from Lieutenant Boyd that his Squadron had captured 68 Turkish soldiers, who were in a very exhausted condition for want of water. These prisoners were brought to Salmana. It appears they were reinforcements discharged from hospital at El-Arish, that they had marched from that place with the intention of reporting to the 31st Regiment at Mazar. They had no guides, however, and missed that place and overmarched it by some 1 6 miles. They were in a very bad condition when our squadron met them, and showed no fight. Owing to their weak condition, the members of the Regiment dismounted from their own horses and gave them a lift for three miles, where we met ambulance waggons which, in the meantime, we had sent for."

(Wilson p140-141; referring to 1918)

"I will here give extracts from Colonel Cameron’s report of the 14th July:

“At 0245 enemy artillery opened on Mussalabeh. At 0300 our listening-post in front of “Star” post was driven in. At 0315 enemy shelled high ground in rear of posts. At 0330 enemy were observed digging in on high ground 700 yards east of “Star” post. At 0400 the officer in charge of these men (a German major) was killed by one of our advance posts. At 0430 “A” Battery, H.A.C., fired on enemy who were digging in and they withdrew. A small patrol was then sent out by “C” Squadron from ‘Star,’ ‘Shell’ and ‘Scrap posts, and they reported 150-200 enemy sheltering under high bank east of Wadi Mellalah. Lieutenant J. D. Macansh and 14 men then moved out across the Wadi to drive them if possible from the high ground which dominated our position. They got within 20 yards of the enemy. whom they surprised, and who used bombs, which, however, were very local in effect. The retirement of our party was covered by fire from the posts and 15

German prisoners were brought back. At 0815 Lieutenant Macansh and 2nd Lieutenant Byrnes with 20 men again moved forward to dislodge the enemy, and on this occasion the attempt was a complete success. The enemy casualties were 26 prisoners, 25 killed, and 30 wounded. One machine gun, 4 automatic rifles, and a quantity of ammunition were captured. Our casualties, I officer and 2 other ranks slightly wounded. The enemy force consisted entirely of Germans; when they were surprised, those who were not captured, killed or wounded fled in wild disorder towards their wire, 1.000 yards in the rear. This is the first occasion when this Regiment has engaged a force comprised entirely of Germans. After providing a flank for protection and excluding the bombers, who crawled forward on the enemy’s flank, Lieutenant Macansh’s party, which finally attacked 150-200 Germans, consisted of no more than 1 2 men. All ranks engaged in this enterprise displayed great personal courage. The enterprise throughout was a fine example of able and gallant leadership, inspiring men to any undertaking, however hazardous.”

For their services on this occasion Captain Boyd and Lieutenant Macansh were granted Military Crosses."

(Wilson 140-141).

Captain Boyd was the officer sent to accept the surrender of the Turkish garrison at Ziza, as described in Wilson p146-, when Australians and Turks united for the night to keep the Bedouins at bay. Major Cameron's report of the action states, in part:

"The trenches throughout the night were held by our men and the Turks, constituting, perhaps, an unique situation.

I was greatly struck by the fact, that the Turkish garrison, notwithstanding its superiority in numbers, was terrified of the Bedouins. Several instances occurred during the day of Bedouins capturing odd Turks. Though armed, the Turks seemed unable to protect themselves, and simply screamed like dying pigs."

Major Boyd died on 8 October 1925.

Bryn - thank you very much for keying in this information. It is much appreciated.

Des