Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn. Yorkshire Regiment

Aurel Sercu

Is there a member who has access to the War Diaries of this unit (2nd Bn. Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards) ), for that specific day ? Or the Regimental History (Col. Wylly, The Green Howards in the Great War)?

My question is related to the Topic "Ambush and Massacre near Valenciennes" elsewhere on this Forum.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158759&st=25

(An event (myth) that is said to have taken place in a village east of Valenciennes on 11/11/18, in which over 100 men died.

I learned that in on 6 Nov. 1918 27 men of 2/Yorkshire Regiment died in (and are buried in) Bettrechies, which is 15 km east of Valenciennes. I want to find out if what happened to them somehow is related to the 'myth'.

Aurel

Aurel

WO95/1809 is digital and downloadable, if you get no replies. Did not Michael Bully in you linked thread say that there is no mention in the "battalion diary" ? If that means the War Diary.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thanks. And now let's hope that someone has them and is willing to post that specific date ...

Yes, Michael B. wrote :

"However the battalion diary does not correspond in detail with Read's story."

I really wish I knew what the diary says for that date. Sure, when 27 men died in a battalion, 'something' must be said in the war diaries. Even if it does not correspond with Read's story, I'd be interested.

Aurel

Thanks, Paul !

And as we can see, nothing in what is written explicitly refers to something that might give rise to the 'Ambush and Massacre Myth'. If something had happened that was even vaguely related to an ambush and massacre, I guess it would have been mentioned in the War diaries / Regimental History.

So : back to where we started from. Probably what happened to 2/Yorkshire Reg. on 6/11/18 has nothing to do with the myth. Maybe I should give up. Yet I just cannot dispose of the thought that such a myth should at least have some truth in it, even if only 1 %.

(Don't know if I said that in the other topic, but the Flemish author who wrote a novel about this, had got his information from a CWGC gardener in Menin, who had said (in the 1970s) that he himself had been involved in the event. Which of course is no absolute guarantee that it had happened indeed, I know.)

Aurel

Well, only lest this Topic should sink into oblivion ....

Dragging it up a little, hoping that a Forum member has the war Diaries of 2/Yorkshire Regiment for 6 Nov. 1918 ...

Aurel

Aurel

I have two pages from the WDiary WO95/1809 for the relevant time of your enquiry. An e-mail by PM will get you the pages,which are photo'd off a PC screen at Kew as they are digital.

Sotonmate

• 7 months later...

I also have an interest in the action on this day with the 2nd Btn Yorkshire Regiment. I am researching family tree and discovered that my Great Uncle (George Albert Rowntree), was wounded in action on this day. He was in the process of being evacuated back to Uk, but died of his wounds 20th November 1918. It seems such a pity as this action was the last serious his Btn faced in the war. He was 19. Any info you can gather, would be of of great interest to me

• 2 months later...

ks

Further to your PM I will look out the pics and send them in a day or two.

Sotonmate

KS do you know in which company your Great Uncle served? I only ask as my GGF was in C Coy of the 2nd Yorks from 1914- March 1918 when sadly he was killed in action

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry i dont. I plan to make a trip to the Museum in Richmond to see if i can get any more info. Will let you know.

Cheers

Simon

KS do you know in which company your Great Uncle served? I only ask as my GGF was in C Coy of the 2nd Yorks from 1914- March 1918 when sadly he was killed in action