Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tartan of A&SH

133.R

Sven,

No difference in Sett:

No. 1 (42nd)

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and Royal Highlanders (BW)

Alternate dark green and blue stripes (about 2 ¼ inches) separated by black stripes (about 1 inch) each way as a groundwork. Green stripes intersected by narrow black stripes and blue stripes intersected by double narrow black stripes.

Differences in Pleat--BW had a Barrel pleat and A&SH a Box pleat.

Also fastened differently--Officially "supposed to but not always" the A&SH was fastened by Safety pins and the BW a Glass headed pin. (Kilts with leather straps can be found but were not according to regulation.

After the War there was a I believe a No.1a Tartan introduced for the A&SH.

Joe Sweeney

Sveb: As far as I know, the only difference in the regimental tartan was that the Argylls wore a slightly lighter shade of the so-called Government Tartan as worn by the Black Watch. Antony

Sveb: As far as I know, the only difference in the regimental tartan was that the Argylls wore a slightly lighter shade of the so-called Government Tartan as worn by the Black Watch. Antony

Like this one? A difficult topic .I would also do no wrong. :wacko:

Regards

Sven

Like this one? A difficult topic .I would also do no wrong. :wacko:

Regards

Sven

Sven, as Joe says during WW1 there was no difference between the government (pattern) tartan worn by the Black Watch and the A&SH. It was only after the war that No 1A tartan was introduced which, as mentioned by Antony, had a lighter shade of green. Incidentally, this lighter shade has been adopted by the newly formed Royal Regiment of Scotland in today's British Army infantry.

To identify for sure which you have look at the pleats as mentioned also by Joe (barrel are round and boxed are square).