Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What medal is this?

emz82

Hi Image wont display??

HB

India General Service Medal [QV] 1895~1902 with one Clasp [Probably Punjab Frontier,or Tirah] :thumbsup:

HB

India General Service Medal [QV] 1895~1902 with one Clasp :thumbsup:

HB

Thanks HB - Did everyone who served in India get this? At the moment am trying to find identifiers that can help me track down names where possible.

Emily;This Medal would have been awarded to cover various Campaigns in India from 1895 until 1902,{A Previous IGS 1854~95 Covered many more Campaign in the Sub Continent from 1854,as had the Army of India Medal previously} It would not have automatically granted to all Soldiers in India,only for service in specific Campaigns,lots of Service there would have gone unrewarded, India was just a Regular Posting for much of the British army at the time

HB :poppy:

Sorry Harry - beg to differ. That's the young Lyon Head of Victoria, so it's the 1854-95 Medal - not the 1895-1902 (which had the 'widow' Head). So I'd say it's more likely to be 'Burma 1885-87'. (If I remember, the Cheshires weren't on the NWF for the 1895 Medal?)

Great photos Emily. Are these all family?

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim,

Captain Charles Johnson is my Gt Grandfather (www.captainjohnson.co.uk) but the others I don't know. None of the pics have writing on them. They are all from Charles' collection. Am trying to piece it all together - most will be in vain, but I hope to find some names out.

Sorry Harry - beg to differ. That's the young Lyon Head of Victoria, so it's the 1854-95 Medal - not the 1895-1902 (which had the 'widow' Head). So I'd say it's more likely to be 'Burma 1885-87'. (If I remember, the Cheshires weren't on the NWF for the 1895 Medal?)

Yep, definitely IGS'54, although I must admit that at first glance I too thought that it was an IGS'95. Must go for that eye test!!

Thanks Emily. I have been looking at some of the others. Great photos..much more than most of us have!

Rgds

Tim

• 3 months later...

Not an Egypt Medal - it has the wrong Victoria Head; wrong suspender (the Egypt Medal is straight) and wrong bar shape. This is definitely an Indian General Service Medal 1854 with Wyon's young head Victoria bust. The problem with identifying medal by their ribbons in old black and white photos is that the ribbon colour tones can look almost reversed, the classic example of this being the British War Medal ribbon.

Sepoy

NB Either way its a nice photo

Sorry Harry That's the young Lyon Head of Victoria, so it's the 1854-95 Medal -

Dont apologise "Staffie" ;I stand humbly corrected .... :innocent: though I do believe it is WYON {the Designer} rather than Lyon :thumbsup: