Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shashka from Russia

Landsturm

Work collegue of mine, a military enthusiast and militaria collector of some level, had puchased a Imperial Russian Shashka-sabre of the cossacks. He is interested to find more information about the stamps and the carved Russian text in the handle. Can anybody offer their help?

post-1862-010641900 1295617751.jpg

post-1862-089070500 1295617761.jpg

Your friend has obviously got fairly deep pockets - these 'shashkas' are usually quite expensive to purchase these days. (see pic below)

It appears to be the M1881 Russian Cossack Sabre and manufactured in this case by the Zlatoust Arms Factory in 1906, as indicated on the ricasso.

The Russian text stamped on the crossguard will no doubt be in some variety of cyrillic lettering in which I am not fluent. Somebody may be willing to translate.?

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-091839000 1295620971.jpg

Only got Russian O level but I can at least give the transcription a bash.

3 [or might be a Z] B [1?] V S S A R [inverted A with something else worn off] B R I 69. (could that last be 69th Brigade?)

Reading down-to-up on the other, ZLAT. [not sure about the T, it might be a Cyrillic Y for U) OR. FAE and after that I can't make any more out.

In the light of shippingsteel's post I suggest Zlat. Or. Fab. as in Fabrika for factory.

In the light of shippingsteel's post I suggest Zlat. Or. Fab. as in Fabrika for factory.

Well done - you've made a valiant effort with the translation and I'm sure its very close.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

As seaJane says, the picture on the right says ЗЛАТ(ОУСТОВСКАЯ) ОР(УЖЕЙНАЯ) ФАБ(РИКА) = Zlatoust Arms Factory.

The text on the crossguard is 3Б 1 ВССАР БР № 69

i.e. 3 Батарея 1 Восточно-Сибирской Стрелковой Артиллерийской Бригады, № 69

= 3rd Battery, 1st East Siberian Rifle Artillery Brigade, [sword] number 69

Must have been a job lot going last year, see http://forum.blockhaus.ru/index.php?showtopic=23580

EDIT: One contributor says it's a shortened (for artillery) version of the dragoon troopers' 1881 pattern shashka.

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Also, this is a dragoon shashka not a cossack shashka, there is no hand-guard on the cossack issue ones!