Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Arnold Smith RMLI

Andy Wade

Just wanted to post this information as a record of what Chris Harley has been doing for the memory of this man.

Name: SMITH, ARNOLD

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry Secondary Unit Text: Late of Plymouth Bn. R.N. Div. Date of Death: 11/01/1919 Service No: PLY/40(S)

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: PANEL. Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Name: Arnold Smith

Service Branch: Royal Marine Light Infantry. Unit: 2nd Royal Marine Bn. Rank: Lance Corporal. Death Date: 11 Jan 1919.

Cause of Death: Died after Discharge (Invalided) at home address, 95 Bingley St., Brownroyd, Bradford, from Phthisis Pulmonalis.

Burial: Brookwood (UK 1914-18) Memorial.

Service History: ex-16145 Private King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, enlisted Bradford 12/9/14 & transferred to Plymouth Short-Service RMLI 16/9/14 ; Plymouth Bn. No.1 Company MEF 6/2/15-12/5/15 BW right forearm, rejoined Bn. 11/7/15-30/12/15 Otorrhoea (Deafness, perforation), joined 8th Entrenching Bn. 8/11/16, rejoined 2nd RM Bn. 25/11/16-17/2/17 GSW Back & left thigh, Invalided to UK 27/2/17 ; Discharged Invalided 14/11/17 at RN Hospital Chatham for "Pulmonary Tuberculosis", issued Silver War Badge No.RN15887.

Service Number: PLY/40/S

Notes: Notified as accepted for commemoration by CWGC May 2004 ; 25/11/16 appointed Paid Lance Corporal, 17/2/17 reverts to Private ; A Plumber ; b.Brighouse, Yorks. 17/12/1892 ; Next-of-Kin on enlistment & Discharge address: Father, John Henry, 95 Bingley St., Brownroyd, Bradford, Yorks. (mother, Sarah Elizabeth) ; ADM/171/171 = St.V.B. issued to Widow. IC/3386/1919 ; GRO = March Qr.1919, age 26, Bradford, Vol.9b, p.382, Occupation: Army Pensioner (Plumber, Journeyman). Informant: Mother, Sarah E. Smith, present at the death, 95 Bingley St., Brownroyd.

This information is from John Morcombes database.

Bradford Council burial records show:

Arnold Smith

26 years old - Insurance agent

95, Bingley Street.

Died at above address.

Burial date 15th January 1919.

L - con - 640.

Here's a picture of Arnold Smith's grave plot. I've placed a piece of paper on the approximate headstone position:

post-9980-071992600 1295543696.jpg

Andy

Thanks very much for doing this for me. Hopefully now he will receive a CWGC headstone

Chris

My absolute pleasure Chris.

It's no less than he deserves and my honour to help out.

Oh, I found out today why they couldn't find him for me.

I'm sure I'd given them the date of death (over the phone) of 11/1/1919 and the note he had when I got there today had 1/11/1919 written down on it. No wonder they couldn't find him as they were looking in November for him instead of January. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Scholemoor Cemetery.

Which is conveniently where the main cemetery office is with all the Bradford burial records.

Andy has (in post #1) already acknowledged the work of John Morcombe with repect to the RM and their records, and I would like to add a little more background information here which is also taken from John's work, as I think that it helps to complete the picture

200 men transferred from the KOYLI to the Plymouth Division RMLI (Short Service) on 16th September 1914 –

"These 200 men did not chose to enlist as Marines but were perhaps 'asked nicely by the Sergeant-Major' to volunteer their services to the Navy (although there is no evidence of anyone being ordered to transfer to the Marines). All 200 were 'Kitchener's Men' who enlisted with their local Army Regiment in early September 1914, but the prospect of a change to the 'Senior Service' & the promise of early active service with the new mobile naval force, the R.N.D., may have been an attractive proposition. The Army Depots were overflowing with new recruits & and over half of the 200 had served only one day with the colours & were sent home to 'Army Reserve'. After sitting about at home for almost a week, it is likely that they all leapt at the chance of immediate employment & training with the Marines. The majority of these 200 men, diverted by fate to the Royal Marines, served with Nos.3 & 4 Coys. Plymouth Bn, the first RND unit in action with the Turks (4th March 1915). Amongst the ranks of these 200 were the future recipients of one DCM, one DSM, two MMs & one MM & Bar."

Thanks to Chris, Andy and all the IFTC team

Michael

& thank you Michael for the added info

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Name: SMITH, ARNOLD

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Secondary Unit Text: Late of Plymouth Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 11/01/1919

Service No: PLY/40(S)

Additional information: Son of Sarah E Smith, of Brownroyd, Bradford.

N.B.: Recent research has shown that Lance Corporal Smith is buried here.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Cons. L. Grave 640

Cemetery: BRADFORD (SCHOLEMOOR) CEMETERY

A very fast acceptance from CWGC

Thanks Andy for your help

Rest In Peace Arnold

Very pleased to have been able to help.

Chris, If you hear when the new CWGC stone has been fitted, let me know and I'll pop down and take a picture of it.

Rest in Peace, Arnold Smith.

Andy

Expect the new headstone to take quite sometime. Will let you know any info that comes my way. Thanks very much for all of your help in this case. Hope your non commemorated case at Keighley goes well

Chris