Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lincolnshire Regiment

nimrod-49

I was hoping some one could help me with my interest in the engagments involving two battalions of the lincolnshire regiment the 1st and the 6th service on the weston front between the 14th of august 1914 and my great uncles death 0n th 8th of june 1917

thank you

mark

mark

You can buy the two War Diaries for 1 Lincs online from the National Archives Catalogue.Each costs 3.50.

WO95/1429 is for their time with 9 Brigade of 3 Division on first landing in France on 14 Aug 1914,through to Oct 1915.

WO95/2154 is for their time with 62 Brigade of 21 Division from Nov 1915 through to Mar 1919.

The 6 Lincs War Diary is for their time with 33 Brigade of 11 Division from arrival in France (from Gallipoli and Egypt)in July 1916 through to May 1919. The reference is WO95/1429. The Diary is not digital so needs to be read at Kew unless other options appear here.

If you were to post your subject's details it might be possible to pad out your knowledge.

For now we might read between the lines and deduce that he landed as a Regular soldier among the first Divisions to land in France on mobilisation,may have been wounded or sick at some time with the 1st and later returned to front line duty,probably in July 1916 or after, with the 6th. But there might be concrete evidence out there to help you !

Sotonmate

The 6th Bn were a sister Bn to the 9th Sherwood Foresters, so give us a name although he would have been killed during the Battle of Messines if with 6th Bn. The 6th Lincs and 9th Sherwoods were part of the later wave of attack, just about when the German's had recovered slightly on 7th. On 8th they held trenches and the Germans counter attacked The Brigade was attached to the 16th (Irish) Division for the Messines attack. The Brigade was in the area of the Mahieu line and Odour Trench.

6th Bn

July 1st 1916 - France and in line around Arras. September 1916 - attacked near Thiepval. Rest of year in trenches near St Pierre Divion and January 1917. The Division then moved to 'rest' - building railways, training etc. April - Brigade relieved the Aussies in the area of Morchies. Middle of May the move began to Hazebrouck to prepare for messines.

Steve M

Here is a what little information I have

7127 pte thomas parrott

1st btn later 6th btn Lincolnshire regiment

born 1882 halifax

enrold bradford

disembarked leHarve 14/ 08 /1914

K.I.A 08/06/1917

Hope this is of some use thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

The 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment fought at the Battle of Bellewaarde, 16th June 1915. The Lincolns, like other Regiments, lost many men in approx 12 hours.

You can find the full information at:

www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk

Martin

Mark

No service record apparent on Ancestry UK. There were only five Parrott references revealed to me. That may make it a bit more difficult to determine the time your soldier changed Battalion.You can hope that the Lincolns had a more personal approach to their War Diaries and give lists of wounded etc !

Sotonmate