Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Corporal

roy3960

My grandfather told my father that he was promoted Kings Corporal during his service with the Rifle Brigade in France where he served 1914 on. I have a ww2 photo of him, he re enlisted in the RAMC at the start of that conflict and he is shown to be wearing two stripes with what appears to be a crown over. He is described at that time as war substantive corporal. All his ww1 medals show him as a private.

Can anyone help as to what a Kings Corporal may have been, what the rank insignia was and how it differs to a substantive corporal.

Thanks

Roy

It's not the Army getting jealous of the Marines is it? :whistle:

Thanks for the replies gents, one more question, Andy, what would they have to be jealous of? (speaking as a grunt of course!)

I was just having a bit of a laugh.

Not quite what you're looking for, but the Royal Marines have a 'Kings Badgeman' award for best recruit in the Kings Squad, which is the lead squad in training. It is a laurel wreath surrounding King George V's cypher and is always to be worn by the holder irrespective of whatever rank they attain. I believe King George V awarded it first in 1918 after a visit to a Marine training facility.

Here's what it looks like:

badge4.gif

Andy,

thanks realised you were poking fun, no offence taken after all that's what we pongo's are for isn't it?

Roy

• 3 months later...

Better late than never, MO (Military Orders) 353 of 18th August 1917 state:-

EXTRACT FROM ROUTINE ORDERS OF 1st AUSTRALIAN DIVISION.

Divisional Head-Quarters,

1st May, 1917.

195. Ranks of NCO's. - It has been observed that some Officers and other ranks are under the impression that there are ranks known as "King's Sergeant" and "King's Corporal" which carry with them certain privileges.

It is to be clearly understood and explained to all ranks, that -

a. There is no such rank or title as "King's Sergeant" and "King's Corporal."

b. There are no legal privileges attached to any Commissioned or Warrant or Non-commissioned rank, beyond those set forth in Army Act and King's Regulations.

c. Promotion for gallantry or good service in the field does not endow the recipient with any privileges, legal or social, in respect to that or any other rank, beyond those to which the holder would be entitled had he gained that rank in the ordinary manner.

Regards,

Dan

• 4 years later...

My grandfather told my father that he was promoted Kings Corporal during his service with the Rifle Brigade in France where he served 1914 on. I have a ww2 photo of him, he re enlisted in the RAMC at the start of that conflict and he is shown to be wearing two stripes with what appears to be a crown over. He is described at that time as war substantive corporal. All his ww1 medals show him as a private.

Can anyone help as to what a Kings Corporal may have been, what the rank insignia was and how it differs to a substantive corporal.

Thanks

Roy

That "crown" might be the Geneva Cross?

Just came across this record today to which the rank has been stated as 'Kings corporal' - it does look like the 'kings' bit has been added after the Corporal was added.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007286171%2f00891&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7286171%2f58%2f884

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Craig

On further checking it seems the man had 'invented' a MM, DCM and 3 woundings by altering his discharge record. It appears he thought he'd look better by adding 'kings' to the records as well,

Craig

It's not the Army getting jealous of the Marines is it? :whistle:

Rifle Brigade happy to act as Marines when asked - hence the 'Copenhagen' and 'Copenhagen 1801' naval battle honour on the RB cap badge 1927-, and the naval crown from 1951 onwards.

The was carried over into the RGJ cap badge and continues (without the naval crown) on the current cross belt badge of The Rifles.

Some of those original riflemen got the Naval GSM!