Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What uniform is this?

emz82

Hi,

We've literally just found this photograph and I believe it to be my Great Uncle William Cyril Newcombe from Neston, KIA June 1917 and buried at Wancourt.

Can anyone ID the uniform he has on? It will hopefully help us prove its him.

Thanks,

Emily

Hi,

We've literally just found this photograph and I believe it to be my Great Uncle William Cyril Newcombe from Neston, KIA June 1917 and buried at Wancourt.

Can anyone ID the uniform he has on? It will hopefully help us prove its him.

Thanks,

Emily

No photograph Emily ?

Emily,

Looks like Royal Marine Light Infantry.

Scott

Yes, definitely Royal Marine Light Infantry (RMLI). Some of whom initially landed in Belgium to defend Antwerp, those who survived death, or capture, later became part of the very famous 63rd Royal Naval Division in France and Flanders. Others formed ship's detachments along with their Royal Marine Artillery (RMA) colleagues.

He is wearing the associated navy blue serge (undress) uniform (as worn on board ships at that time), comprising a jacket with upper and lower pockets (unpleated) and trousers with a thin red stripe up the outer seam. His head dress is the infamous Broderick Cap, named after the then secretary of state for war (or the colonies - I forget which). Around his waist is the 'slade wallace' equipment buff leather (whitened) belt, but with 'regimental' locket style buckle, embossed on the circlet: 'Per Mare Per Terram' (on land and sea).

post-599-087642400 1295386138.jpg

Interesting - doesn't look to be Cyril.

Cyril was RASC then MGC.

Intriguing - another family member to track down, though difficult without a name.

Perhaps check the name of any brothers against Royal Marine personnel?

Rgds

Tim

Perhaps check the name of any brothers against Royal Marine personnel?

Rgds

Tim

Yeah think I'm going to go down the other side of the family as he looks more like one side than the other - problem is...that side is called Smith.

Am thinking he is possibly either Arthur, John Robert or William Smith.