Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl. A.C.Shanley DCM 2nd Highland Co. R.E.

pippas

My late grandfather, Alexander Shanley, was awarded the DCM for conspicuous gallantry on 16th May 1915 , at Festubert.

Like so many of the Great War soldiers , he never spoke of his wartime experiences, and it has only been since his death in 1964 that the family has been able to piece together any details of the circumstances leading up to his award.

We have been lucky in being able to trace the citation in the London Gazette (5 Aug. 1915), and have also found handwritten letters of congratulation from junior officers in the unit.

The medal itself is proudly kept by the family, but recently it has been suggested that, contrary to the rather cynical view of one of our family members, who suggested that 'DCM's were handed out like smarties in the early years of the Great War' that the medal itself has some value, and should be insured.

We have no idea what value that might be - £2 or £200? - but I am of the opinion that second order gallantry awards were NOT handed out like smarties, and that we should try and get some idea of the insurance value.

Does anyone have any idea what value we should place on the medal, for insurance purposes?

DCMs were not handed out "like smarties in the early years of the Great War" and are of some value in the collector market. One should expect to pay £500 and up for a Great War DCM, depending on the citation, the unit and the man. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick - thanks for that information - I had no idea we were talking that kind of value!

As for the 'smarties' comment, trust me, someone's going to get a thick ear!

For Conspicuous gallantry on 16 May 1915 , at Festubert , when laying out a communication trench under heavy rifle fire. In doing this Corporal Shanley was severely wounded.

Tell the Smartie member to come down the Army ranges next week and run back and forwards in front of those shooting and plant a few potatoes as well. Arghhhhh

I Have all RE DCM Citations for WW1

To be fair - the family member in question is very young, and did not know Grandad Shanley personally.

If the old chap had heard that comment himself, I know that he would, like so many of that proud generation, have said nothing - smiled at the ignorance of youth, and gone back to his gardening!

Me? --- I'm checking out the bus timetables for the nearest army range!