Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"ganges"

Guest vacha

George Lewis Cooke gave Shotley, Suffolk as his address at marriage in 1908, need to find more about him, I know who he married, but where did he serve?

Any help appreciated

Val :rolleyes:

Val

Could you give us anymore information on this man?

Regards Doug.

Val,

If you are referring to HMS Ganges it was the Boys Training establishment at Shotley. I dont know if it still exists or not.

Bryan

Bri/Val,

Ganges is know longer a training establishment for boy sailors, closed down in the early 70's, but there is a museum there, put ganges into your browser and go into the site loads of pictures and info. Could be of some help.

Regards Eskimo

:rolleyes:

Hi

Thanks to all replies, I am not sure if I am doing this right, first time on this site.

My husband was based at Ganges in the early 1960 before going on board the HMS Victorious to the far east, he came home as the last war ship through the Suez canal b4 they closed it at the begining of the war.

I was hoping someone out there might know my George Lewis Cooke,(born 1884) or one of his two brothers that both served in the Navy, Frederick Charles Cooke,born 1894(HMS Enchantress) or Sidney William Cooke born 1882, don't know when or where Sidney served.

Thanks

Val