Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon.

andrew pugh

Morning All.

Could someone tell me the dimentions of the piece of ribbon( 1914 Star or 1915 Star) given to a soldier to sew on his tunic when overseas.I know the ribbon was excactly the same colour, but would like to know the size.

Best Regards Andy.

Andy,

Possibly not the information you require but I have a piece of 1914 Star Ribbon issued to a Casualty.

It measures 8 and three quarter inches long and 1 and a half inches wide.

George

• Admin

Again not the precise information you want but when the British War Medal was announced in the Times on the 4th August 1919, it was stated the initial issue of riband would be two inches.

There is a similar article for the issue of the 1914 Star dated 26th November 1917 but as you probably know that doesn't state the initial issue of riband, only that soldiers overeseas would receive it first. It noted production of the medal was delayed and gave instructions as to issue. A subsequent article on Dec 10 saiys the issue of the riband was being expedited. Unfortunately neither mention the length of riband, but two inches seems the default. Inferior foreign ribbon was a shilling an inch!

(I seem to recall that's about what I got - though I think mine was cut from a roll held at stores, which given the instructions for applying is what may have happened here).

Ken

Hi Ken.

You mentioned cheap foreign ribbon a shilling an inch, what do you mean.Is this why it was readily available to buy in France.Because some soldiers were wearing the ribbon who were not entitled to it. Im asking this for a reason, conserning my research on my Gt Uncle.

Best Regards Andy

Andy,

I'm sure a 1914/1915 Veteran had the the pleasure,in 1918, of sewing on,or not, his his officially issued ribbon ,of his,soon to be released Medal.

I'm sure his Countrymen,who were not entitled to the Ribbon,saw their chance to either advance themselves,or make a few Francs,to "promote" a post 1915 Man,to 1914 or 1915 service.

We often have discussions,on the Forum,about genuine WW1 Ribbons and ease to replace.

My short length of Ribbon is genuine as it was issued to a 1914 Star Casualty after the War's end and is untouched,except for measuring it,for you,this morning.

Whether a Foreign Ribbon,at a Bob an inch,feels proper I do not know but I know what the genuine article feels and looks like. :D

George

• Admin

Hi Ken.

You mentioned cheap foreign ribbon a shilling an inch, what do you mean.Is this why it was readily available to buy in France.Because some soldiers were wearing the ribbon who were not entitled to it. Im asking this for a reason, conserning my research on my Gt Uncle.

Best Regards Andy

Hi

I read it in the Times which was referring to sale in the UK, but couldn't find the article again.

However the good news is while I was looking for it I found the article published on 24 th December 1917 that referred to the Army Council Instruction concenring issue of the ribbon. It says, "It is notified that a preliminary issue of 4 in of riband has been sanctioned for each individual now serving."

So four inches it is. (Jan 13 1919 14-15 Star only got 3 inches !)

The concern over '1914 Star unauthorized (sic) wearing of ribbon' prompted another article on May 27th 1918, "An Army Order states that it has been brought to notice that certain individuals who are not entitled to the 1914 Star are wearing the ribbon of this decoration." It then goes on to outline the KR 1,738 concerning wearing of the medal and describes action to be taken to ensure only serving soldiers entitled to wear the medal do so. The second paragraph deals with ex-officers and ex-soldiers as well as other 'individuals'.

PM me with your email if you want copies of the articles.

Ken

Evening Ken and Dycer.

Thanks to you both for your help.It is very useful to me in my research on my Great Uncle. Once again thanks.

Best Regards Andy