Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nish orphanage

beograd

Hi to all,

In the book 'Secrets of the Balkans', by Charles J. Vopicka, United States Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to Roumania, Serbia and Bulgaria, 1913-1920, on page 45 I find this:

"...

At the beginning of the war in Serbia, the Austro-Hungarians sent airplanes to Nish, and they played havoc with the population there. One of the bombs exploded about twenty-five feet from the American Consulate, and the consul, Mr. Young, became very much excited and telegraphed me that I should notify the Austrian government to give instructions to the aviators not to injure the American Consulate or the baby hospital. I telegraphed him back:

'My dear Mr. Consul: Keep cool. Do not get cold feet. Everybody in Serbia is looking towards you. Give a good example of fearlesness. I notified the Austrian government to do as you desired."

I read serbian newspapers of those time, some books, even consulted some historians and old man and women who are childrens of 8-10 year old in that time, but didn't find anything about that.

Does anybody know something more?

Predrag

P.S. I hope no violated copyright as excerpt is from the book published in 1921. in Chicago.

I forgot to say, that orphanage were built at the end of 19 century or in the beginning of 20 century. Orphanage rebuilt in WW I when Municipality of Nish asked Serbian Relief Fund in London with support of Lady Pagett. In period between world wars Great Britain also gave some funds for that institution.

Kind regards

Predrag