Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this uniform?

gordonkingston

Gordon, Harry,

The dark bit on the inside leg is called "strapping". These were made of either leather of the same bedford cord as the pantaloons (As the military called them) depending on pattern. In this case I believe them to be leather.

Joe Sweeney

Hello Joe,

I spent six years (of my 26) with the Household Cavalry mounted squadron at Hyde Park Barracks, in London and never once heard the term "strappings" used. I'm sure you're right. I don't think we, in the fifties, had a name for those parts of the riding breeches. Perhaps we were too busy scrubbing them clean and blancoing them ready for the next parade.

Thank you for the information.

Harry

Here is a man who has twisted his issue lanyard into a double cord (a fairly common practice) and the shadow created in the photo gives an impression of 2 colours It is this that I believe is seen in the photo that initiated this thread.

post-599-002291200 1295298718.jpg

Looking at that, you're most likely right. I wasn't sure. Thanks Frogsmile. Is there no end to your resources? I've just read back over the full thread and I'd also better admit that in my excitement last night I failed to read what you had written (perfectly) correctly - about the buttons accompanying the shoulder title. There's a maxim, probably several, about that - look before you leap, or some such.

Antony - it could be 'Mother', although the 'o' would be a bit disjointed. It would certainly make sense in the context of the photo's being here in Cork. I can't look at it without seeing 'Werther', as in the sorrows of.

Sorry, nearly forgot - Paul, that's a great thread. Anything I find of interest I'll post it on the end of it.

Gordon