Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA and RAMC regimental numbers

lionboxer

On my man's MIC it gives his RFA number 877001 and then underneath his RAMC number 2463. Does this indicate the order in which he served? If so, then why is his SWB (and subsequent discharge) on the RA list? Also can we glean anything from his numbers?

Lionboxer

His RFA number (877001) indicates that in late 1916 he was serving with the East Anglican Brigade, RFA TF. That brigade supplied two brigades that went overseas: (1) 270th Brigade, RFA TF that served with the 54th Division in France from 17th November 1915 (this brigade was renumbered as 272nd Brigade RFA in December 1916) and (2) 345th Brigade, RFA in the 69th Division (this brigade served in England and was broken up in December 1916 with its constituent batteries going to 346th and 348th Brigades, RFA). Dick Flory

Many thanks for that Dick. That's given me a whole load more to chew on now! I knew he was RFA TF and enlisted 7th Sept 1915 (on the SWB roll) but had no idea what brigade. I don't wish to seem thick but can you clarify the difference between a TF and an "ordinary" RFA unit please? I'll start another thread about his RAMC number. Any idea how long the medical discharge process would take?

Lionboxer