Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Hussars

stephenh

I am presently researching a soldier from the 11th Hussars and was wondering of their movements from their arrival as part of the BEF in August 1914

Regards

Stephen

Battle honours for the war are Mons, Le Cateau, Retreat from Mons, Marne 1914, Aisne 1914, Messines 1914, Armentières 1914, Ypres 1914 '15, Frezenberg, Bellewaarde, Somme 1916 '18, Flers-Courcelette, Arras 1917, Scarpe 1917, Cambrai 1917 '18, St. Quentin, Rosières, Amiens, Albert 1918, Hindenburg Line, St. Quentin Canal, Beaurevoir, Selle, France and Flanders 1914-18.

Conor

On the Menin Gate 53 soldiers are commemorated of the 11th Hussars. They were killed between 2nd October 1914 and 24th May 1915. The most casualties are listed on 1st November 1914 (1st Ypres: Battle of Messines) in total 15. Another day, 24th May 1914 (2nd Ypres: Battle of Bellewaerde) 14 soldiers are missed.

Hope this helps,

Jacky

Hi Stephen,

My Grandfather, Charles William Lester, was also in the 11th Hussars from 1916 until the end of hostilities.

I, too, have tried to find out what he did during the conflict. The best I have been able to do is photocopy the entire War Diary of the 11th Hussars which is kept at the Public Records Office. It makes very interesting reading. Unfortunately his service records did not survive the Blitz and were totally destroyed. In Winchester there is the Royal Hussars (10th. & 11th. Hussars regiment after their amalgamation) museum which is very small but interesting and, for a fee of £10-00 (I think), the public are able to carry out further research.

All I know is that my Grandfather joined up at the age of 16, like so many other soldiers of the time. I have also been told by my mum that he was engaged to a french girl called Lydia who lived in Arras. After the war my Grandfather lived in Arras and worked for the Imperial War Graves Commission, now the C.W.G.C. He did not marry Lydia. He married my Grandmother and the restis history as they say.

I hope this is of some help. I am sorry if I have repeated something you already knew.

Regards,

Paul Carter.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen,

My grandfather, Christopher Gorman, was a trooper in the Cherrypickers and was one of those fortunate enough to survive the war. Although intially mounted, he spent most of his time in the trenches.

I have recently sent away for his Service Record, which I hope still exists, and will be pleased to share any information I have when I receive it.

Best wishes,

Mike

Mike

Thanks for that kind offer. The guy I`m researching a Pte Critchlaw (who also survived the war) arrived in France on the 15/8/14. What I`m trying to find out is basically "what happened next". If anything of interest comes up in your Grandfather`s service record i would be extremely interested.

Stephen