Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Photo

nemesis

Photo of the Men of Auchtermuchty in Fife who were kia in World War One . A good bit of trick photography from after the Great War. The Town of Auchtermuchty is in the background The names of all individuals are under the picture but may be a bit difficult to read

post-3477-058636400 1294870287.jpg

post-3477-035705800 1294870310.jpg

That certainly is a great photo. Thanks for sharing.

regards,

David

Thanks for reply

Its a very interesting way of remembrance , Has anyone else viewed a similar photo?

Not personally, but I can guess that quite a few Pals with interests in Town Rolls of Honour might be thinking about doing their own "Sergeant Pepper" now!!!!

• 7 years later...

On 13/01/2011 at 17:58, nemesis said:

The full sized picture

post-3477-003603200 1294941497.jpg

Hi, I realise this is a bit of a long shot as this thread was started over 7 years ago, but do you still have this photo? And if so is it the original with the photos of the men cut out and pasted on the background, or a copy? And where did you find it?

Several of these were produced presumably for the relatives of the men killed. I think Around 1922. I had three of them. The one here in the post has gone to a contact of mine. Its trick photography from the time with the faces of the casualties superimposed onto bodies by the photographer. A local newspaper did an article on them. I got them from an auction ten years ago at least . They are  an original period photo and are not a copies. The auction was local and I live around 20 miles away from the location of the photo.

Edited by nemesis

Thanks, thats all I needed to know. I live in Auchtermuchty and I'm guessing it was the auction in Dunshalt where you got them. I've seen a few in there over the years. Unfortunately the photographers original copy, with the cut out portions of the mens individual portraits stuck together, may also have been in the auction at some point. I saw it myself around 10 years ago. I am a member of Auchtermuchty Heritage and we are desperately trying to locate this original copy again.

I got the pictures in the St Andrews Auction. Now closed. There was no sign of the original you spoke about. The two remaining pictures I have are in perfect condition. One is period framed the other is unframed. 

I am looking for the 1917/18 copies of the Fife news almanac. Have you seen these around?

Edited by nemesis

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, sorry for the delay in replying. So we are not thinking of the same copy of the photo, there must be a few more than I thought in existence, still a very rare piece though and its amazing that you have found two! Unfortunately I havent found any copies of the Fife Almanac form those years, I will need to keep looking.

I have most other Fife Almanacs 1914-1915 -1916  up till 1942  but not 17/18  so if you need a look up let me know

• 2 years later...

It's a clever compilation from 1920 by a local photographer, Frank Findlay. There's a bit of info here - Memorial Photograph | muchtyremembers (wixsite.com)

As a 'Muchty man myself, I laid a copy of this at the Menin Gate during a visit to Ypres a couple of years ago. James Petrie is listed there. I did a bit of research before to find any info on the men and managed to visit some of their graves/memorials.

Tom

Muchty Men 2.pdf