Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

english soldiers in Bailleul (supposed)

studiogh

Hello to all,

here's a link to pictures scanned directly from the glass plates we found in the attic of our photography shop in Bailleul, I don't know anything else about these pictures they sit in their box and I wanted to share them, just click on the pictrure below:

41286327.soldats001_700.jpg

you can also find another gallery related to WW1 by clicking on the picture below:

106254129.yflU71lt.jpg

all those pictures were scanned directly from the negatives, feel free to share them but please don't modify them in any way, thanks.

Guillaume d'Hubert

www.studiogh.fr

Hello would love to see pictures but for some reasons can not view them .

thanks Joan

Hello would love to see pictures but for some reasons can not view them .

thanks Joan

On 31 March 2005 I wrote on that very page (it is still there on the first link, above) "This is a really wonderful collection. Thank you for making it available to us. I will bring it to the attention of more than 6000 members of the Great War Forum - let us see if we can make any identifications."

On 31 March 2005 I wrote on that very page (it is still there on the first link, above) "This is a really wonderful collection. Thank you for making it available to us. I will bring it to the attention of more than 6000 members of the Great War Forum - let us see if we can make any identifications."

thanks for the update Chris, I was led here by a good friend, and didn't notice that that was the same place, anyway, your site has grown a lot and many people will enjoy the update too.

regards,

Guillaume

That is true, Guillaume.

By the way I have visited Bailleul on many occasions over the years. My wife's uncle is buried in the Communal Cemetery Extension, but I also visited several times when I was writing my book on the Battle of the Lys. I have always liked the town but was really delighted to see the restored fountain behind the Town Hall - a very nice feature.

Amazing photo's, many thanks for posting the links....

regards

Tom

(I'm a regular visitor to Bailleul, having been over there three times in the last 6 months, and intend to be there in a few weeks time)

Chris My great uncle is buried in Bailleul , killed in April 1918 as part of the Battle of the Lys..........so please when is the book to be published?

Joan

It's now listed on Amazon, which says 21 April ... the last I heard from the publisher is March, so I am not sure how that all works out. Around then, anyway.

Many thanks.... pre ordering I hope on Amazon

Joan

Great pictures - I wonder why the RA Gunner/Driver in the first batch on the top row right has his bandolier over the wrong shoulder? Will be checking out the book Chris.

I wonder why the RA Gunner/Driver in the first batch on the top row right has his bandolier over the wrong shoulder?

Because the plate is reversed? If you flip the pic, the man's posture looks more natural.

Fantastic images, do you know where the pictures of the Battlefields were taken ?

Tony

Because the plate is reversed? If you flip the pic, the man's posture looks more natural.

So simple that I missed it!

Can't view the pictures either. Get a small red cross where they should be.

Hi John.

I have the same view - just click on the red cross anyway and it will take you there.

Amazing photos. I have a vivid imagination at the best of time, but I am always stunned to silence when viewing any photos of battlefields and trenches.

What all of these soldiers witnessed and endured cannot be praised enough....

Jason

Great photos.

For those who are only seeing a Red X - right click the X and choose open link in new window - that should help.

Cheers

Hello,

the battlefields pictures were taken in la Marne in places called Sapigneul and Beaumarais, the first place was fully destroyed and never rebuilt.

regards,

Guillaume

• 2 years later...

I have just discovered these photographs of a part of the battlefields I am interested in.

Very clear

David

• 5 months later...

Great pictures, Guillaume. Merci beaucoup !! MM.