Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last known Lusitania survivor, 95, dies

eviltaxman

It's amazing that WW1 was so long ago, three generations even, almost a century, long enough ago for archaeology, but yet there are still witnesses to it. Good on her.

Len

There was still an elderly Belgian woman living in 1905 who, as a young child, had witnessed the Battle of Waterloo.

And in 1998 a Canadian lady, Mrs Edwina McKenzie, was interviewed on radio at age 100, and was asked to what she attributed her long life. She replied that it was her decision, 86 years earlier, to get off the Titanic.

Ron

My other half's Grandma is 98 this year (born in 1913). She still lives at home and does all her own gardening (pottering) and walks to church and town. She was alive (obviously!) When the Great War broke out and lived through it. I've have tried several times to talk to her about her memories of what was going on at the time and she responds that the children were shielded from it. I should think this wasn't common to all, as they lived in what was then, quite a rural area.

The lady from the Lusitania sounds like she knew she'd been blessed and lived her life accordingly. Good on her! I hope I'm as lucky.

And in 1998 a Canadian lady, Mrs Edwina McKenzie, was interviewed on radio at age 100, and was asked to what she attributed her long life. She replied that it was her decision, 86 years earlier, to get off the Titanic.

Slightly confused, having never heard of this women I Googled her name for more information, which all seems to say that she was "luckily" transferred to the Titanic at the last minute, and only survived by being one of the passengers put out in the lifeboats... :huh:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survivors-recall-night-remember.html

Andrew

You may well be right. My source was the late Alan Coren in an episode of "The News Quiz", but he may have embroidered the story a bit!

Ron