Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The ANZAC Trail, Beersheba, Israel

iain mchenry

I was aware from reading the internet and Paul Daleys's book "Beersheba" that plans were afoot to mark out a 60 kilometer ANZAC trail around the Beersheba / Negev desert area that will focuss on the taking of Beersheba. Has this trail been signed up and opened yet? If so, does any one know where you can get a copy of the route and its stops? If its not opened does anyone have a date for opening?

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain,

As I understand, this is all work in progress. Completion date......well, your guess would be as good as anyone else. But, I'd say, that it has to be before 2014/5.

Started to warm up yet?

All the very best for 2011, Peter

I was aware from reading the internet and Paul Daleys's book "Beersheba" that plans were afoot to mark out a 60 kilometer ANZAC trail around the Beersheba / Negev desert area that will focuss on the taking of Beersheba. Has this trail been signed up and opened yet? If so, does any one know where you can get a copy of the route and its stops? If its not opened does anyone have a date for opening?

Regards

Iain

Iain good morning.

The person you should contact about this issue (and many other related issue) is Mr. Ezra Pimental. I will send you his e mail adress in a minute. He is one of the people who promoted this idea and definetly one of the active ones. He is a resident of the area as well. He would be pleased to help you.

regards

Thanks for the contact info Wroclaw, I will get in touch with Ezra about this.

Best regards

Iain

P.S. Peter, Back in Ypres now, weather milder but wet!!

Iain

Following with much interest and would love to hear any updates. We've checked out all we can see about this online. Ordered the Peter Daley book the other day after hearing from you. Pity I need to time to sleep....!

Judy

• 4 weeks later...

Submitted by new member Votmoy via "Report this Post"

The ANZAC Trail in Israel was actually launched during the 90th anniversary of the battle on Beersheba in 2007. 60 Australian riders, under command of Barry Rodgers, marched the 60 km trail in 3 days, and on the 4th day reenacted the famous charge. The Society for the Heritage of World War I in Israel, associated with the Jewish National Fund in Australia are since then proceeding operations on the ground, to develop it as a tourist venture, namely visitor centers, observation points and signs along the track. Work has already begun, some tours has already experienced parts of the track, and a guide book is currently written.

Ezra Pimentel

Vice Chairman

The Society for the Heritage of World War I in Israel