Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minden POW photo

mark1965

Hi,

This seems to be the place to put this photo of my wife's grandfather - Cpl EH Hoddinott 40367 5 LOND (LRB). The family story is he was captured at Gommecourt 1/7/1916 - if anyone can confirm this I would be most grateful. Ernie is back row far right and was probably only 20 at the time of this photo. We also got an autograph book from his time in Minden with lots of drawings from fellow soldiers both French and British from a variety of Regiments. I have scanned them all and looking for a decent place to post them.

If anyone can shed any further light on the photograph or just general feedback then it would be of great interest to me.

Thanks, Mark

post-15724-024892300 1294685699.jpg

post-15724-021274900 1294685714.jpg

Hi

I can confirm that E H Hoddinott of 1/5 Londons was indeed captured on 1.7.16 at Gommecourt along with 60 odd other 5th London men. His 5th London army numbers were 2049 and 301275 and he landed in France on 2.9.15 as part of a large draft to the 1st battalion from the 2nd.Quite a few ended up at Minden Camp. There is a group photo of 5th men at Minden in Kevin Mitchinson's book "Gentemen and Officers". If you send me your email address i will send you a copy. I would very much like to have a copy of your photo if at all possible. i can also send you a list of all the 5th men capturedon 1.7.16

regards Chris

Hi again

Other LRB men known to be at Minden were Rippengal, Wells, Evanson, Whitehouse, Dean, Houle, Morris, Woodward and Bassett. Interested to know if any of them appear in the sketch book

Chris

Hi again

Other LRB men known to be at Minden were Rippengal, Wells, Evanson, Whitehouse, Dean, Houle, Morris, Woodward and Bassett. Interested to know if any of them appear in the sketch book

Chris

Hi - thanks for this it is narvik.1965@gmail.com

Happy to send a copy of this photo - unfortunately no references to 5LRB except a drawing of the LRB crest drawn by HB Jerome of 1 Hampshire Regt.

I don't suppose you recognise any LRB in the photo?

Mark

Hi,

This seems to be the place to put this photo of my wife's grandfather - Cpl EH Hoddinott 40367 5 LOND (LRB). The family story is he was captured at Gommecourt 1/7/1916 - if anyone can confirm this I would be most grateful. Ernie is back row far right and was probably only 20 at the time of this photo. We also got an autograph book from his time in Minden with lots of drawings from fellow soldiers both French and British from a variety of Regiments. I have scanned them all and looking for a decent place to post them.

If anyone can shed any further light on the photograph or just general feedback then it would be of great interest to me.

Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark

Thanks for posting the POW Photo from Minden.There has been other threads on Minden POW Camp,is there any drawings by Black Watch men?.

I have an interest in the Minden POW camp, I was stationed there for 5 years in the 60s and still go back every year,so know the area well.

Joe

Hello Mark

Thanks for posting the POW Photo from Minden.There has been other threads on Minden POW Camp,is there any drawings by Black Watch men?.

I have an interest in the Minden POW camp, I was stationed there for 5 years in the 60s and still go back every year,so know the area well.

Joe

Hi,

No only Scotsman is Sgt William Craig 1st Gordon Highlanders with a drawing in pencil called A Highland Glen

Regards, Mark

Hi,

No only Scotsman is Sgt William Craig 1st Gordon Highlanders with a drawing in pencil called A Highland Glen

Regards, Mark

Thanks Mark

can you post?

Regards

Joe

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am researching my father's military record. He was 5045 CSM H P Wells of the Royal Irish Regiment. I have an attestation from the ICRC listing him as being captured at Cambrai or Bertry or "Apincourt sic" on 27-08-1914. He is then listed as a POW at the following camps: -

Senne 03-10-1914

Sennelager 16-01-1915

Dulmen 22-07-1916 coming from Mannheim

MINDEN 30-04-1917

Soltau 17-10-1917 coming from Minden II

He was then repatriated to Hull 18-11-1918.

He was awarded a DCM in 1920, which I can only assume was for something that happened whilst a POW.

If anyone can help with my research I would be very grateful

Many thanks

Bob Wells