Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a real Medal

TEW

Forum

My Sister has just sent me some photos including the one below. It shows my Father in about 1933/4 and he is wearing some sort of medal. I'd be very surprised if my Grandfather allowed my Father to wear his BWM or Victory and the ribbon banding doesn't look right for those anyway and is too small??

The photo is the right way round so I'd guess my Grandfather insisted on it being on right breast. Perhaps such casual use is why I only have the MC!

Thanks in advance

TEW

medalenw.jpg

It looks a lot like some of the very cheap commemorative medals issued by schools for various Coronations, Jubilees, etc, of the reigning monarch - usually on a red/white/blue ribbon to match the colours of the Union Jack.

George VI Commemorative medal.

Here you go, top row, third medal from left.:

019-a.jpg

It looks a lot like some of the very cheap commemorative medals issued by schools for various Coronations, Jubilees, etc, of the reigning monarch - usually on a red/white/blue ribbon to match the colours of the Union Jack.

Well, I guess it could be 1936 and he's seven or eight. It would explain the background Union Jack. And if they were prevalant circa 1937

Thanks Andrew & daggers. And just spotted Andy's image. That must be it, Thanks all.

TEW

I reckoned George VI because of the date of his accession being so close to the date you gave for the picture.

Edit:

Sorry, that's the later post which gave 1937. I suppose this could be an Edward VIII medal (if there were any). Haven't googled for one of those.

Ah. Here's one:

1287836269-24368-0.jpg

In the original picture, is it just a single monarch's head on the medal? I can't make it out from your version. looks like the George VI medal has two heads on it.

I reckoned George VI because of the date of his accession being so close to the date you gave for the picture.

Edit:

Sorry, that's the later post which gave 1937. I suppose this could be an Edward VIII medal (if there were any). Haven't googled for one of those.

Ah. Here's one:

1287836269-24368-0.jpg

In the original picture, is it just a single monarch's head on the medal? I can't make it out from your version. looks like the George VI medal has two heads on it.

Hi Andy,

I would agree definitely a Coronation medal as issued to schools etc., but which one difficult to say. I have one just like your picture--not my own, I hasten to add!!

Regards, Robert

Hi and thanks again.

The Boy (my Father) was born Nov 1928. My sister says 1933/4 which makes him 5 or 6 in the photo. There is a slight shadow on the medal that looks more like the Geo VI. Which makes him 8½ and 1937??

I realise it's getting a bit off topic

Thanks

TEW

Looking at the medal in the photo as you look at it from right to left even though it is not clear looks like the figure depicted on the medal is facing left with there back facing to the right judging by the thickness of the body.

Regards

Brendan