Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BWM to Gallipoli casualty

stevem49

If I see any 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters medals for sale, I usually make a bid and often get them. Usually for a BWM I would bid a maximum of £35 which I thought was reasonable. I bid for one recently which reached £95 and wondered if the fact that he was a Gallipoli casualty would bump up the price so much. Needless to say, it was way out of my league !

I would be interested in forumites comments on the price and premiums for Gallipoli.

Steve M

That seems high to me, but I'm not surprised, auctions do seem to throw these surprises out time to time.

I had a conversation recently with a collector and expressed surprise at the price of a group that had sold, it turned out that it was this guy and his friend that were the two bidders (with the friend winning). It was just that they both wanted that particular group (which was nothing special).

This may have been what happened here. It may be that someone has the other medal(s) and wants to complete the group.

In terms of a Gallipoli casualty - would I pay a premium. I suppose there are circumstances where I might, £95 is a high premium for a BWM, but if I really wanted it then yes I would pay that

Hello Steve,

It does seem rather high.

Could it have been that the recipient was awarded some kind of gallantry award?

There is also the possibility that the recipent was awarded a 1914 or 1914/15 Star Trio and that two bidders, unknown to each other, had the Star & Victory medals and are trying to reunite?

I have a few single medals in my collection and would pay way over the odds should one of their other medals appear on the market.

I paid £35 for a Victory Medal to the Coldstream Gaurds. The recipient was a pre-war regular who was wounded twice and survived the war. I did think after I paid..."What have just done?" I don't even have any of his other medals. I just decided I wanted that particular medal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

He died of wounds at sea and is on the Helles memorial. No gallantry awards but I suppose it could be that one has the VM and one the Star. The highest I have paid was £80 for a trio and wound badge to a 9th Bn man. No doubt if medals came up to complete sets of my 9th Bn men, I would pay over the odds.

Steve

Hello Steve,

It does seem rather high.

Could it have been that the recipient was awarded some kind of gallantry award?

There is also the possibility that the recipent was awarded a 1914 or 1914/15 Star Trio and that two bidders, unknown to each other, had the Star & Victory medals and are trying to reunite?

I have a few single medals in my collection and would pay way over the odds should one of their other medals appear on the market.

I paid £35 for a Victory Medal to the Coldstream Gaurds. The recipient was a pre-war regular who was wounded twice and survived the war. I did think after I paid..."What have just done?" I don't even have any of his other medals. I just decided I wanted that particular medal.

that could have been my fault you paid that much !!!

Ive been out bid at £50 for a Bwm trying to reunite - the line has to be drawn somewhere as if a relative they may value it more

We've all got medals that we would raid the piggy-bank for - obviously relatives are at the top of the list. I have various searches out for anything to my Great-Uncles and , within reason, money would be no object if any surfaced. I have only one VM to all 4 of them so there must be some out there! Maybe one day.