Able seaman T Wallace

willy

Great Britain, Royal Naval Division Casualties of The Great War, 1914-1924

about Thomas Wallace Name: Thomas Wallace

Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit: Hood Bn.

Death Date: 13 Apr 1918

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Burial: Lonsdale Cemetery, Aveluy & Authuille (FR 293)

Service History: Enlisted 19/7/15 ; Draft for MEF (Bomber) 5/12/15, joined Hood Bn. at Mudros 8/1/16-13/11/16 GSW right leg, Invalided to UK 15/11/16 ; Draft for BEF 3/12/17, joined Hood Bn. 4/1/18-13/4/18 DD.

Service Number: Tyneside Z/5779

Notes: CWGC = TZ/5729 AB ; Rated AB Higher Grade 22/11/17 ; True date of death most likely 11th-12th April 1918. The Hood Battn. War Diary has for 11th April 1918:- "Front and support lines were very heavily shelled during the day, one Lewis gun post being completely wiped out by hostile shell fire during the night. Casualties 6 Other Ranks killed, 7 Other Ranks wounded and 1 Other Rank missing (believed to be blown to pieces)." All seven of the Hood men listed as killed 11th-12th April in the War Diary are officially recorded as died 13th April 1918 ; A Warehouseman ; b.2/8/1896 ; Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, John Watson Wallace, 81 Breamish St., Battlefield, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

reagards Dave

Great Britain, Royal Naval Division Casualties of The Great War, 1914-1924

about Thomas Wallace Name: Thomas Wallace

Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit: Hood Bn.

Death Date: 13 Apr 1918

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Burial: Lonsdale Cemetery, Aveluy & Authuille (FR 293)

Service History: Enlisted 19/7/15 ; Draft for MEF (Bomber) 5/12/15, joined Hood Bn. at Mudros 8/1/16-13/11/16 GSW right leg, Invalided to UK 15/11/16 ; Draft for BEF 3/12/17, joined Hood Bn. 4/1/18-13/4/18 DD.

Service Number: Tyneside Z/5779

Notes: CWGC = TZ/5729 AB ; Rated AB Higher Grade 22/11/17 ; True date of death most likely 11th-12th April 1918. The Hood Battn. War Diary has for 11th April 1918:- "Front and support lines were very heavily shelled during the day, one Lewis gun post being completely wiped out by hostile shell fire during the night. Casualties 6 Other Ranks killed, 7 Other Ranks wounded and 1 Other Rank missing (believed to be blown to pieces)." All seven of the Hood men listed as killed 11th-12th April in the War Diary are officially recorded as died 13th April 1918 ; A Warehouseman ; b.2/8/1896 ; Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, John Watson Wallace, 81 Breamish St., Battlefield, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

reagards Dave

Thanks Dave, anymore info from the diary in the months/weeks upto his death?

Original RND Record of Service and RNVR Enrolment papers are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. Same fate as your other posting (AB Buttle).

Thanks for this, have you any further info in the weeks/months preceeding his death?

Hi Willy , im afraid i havent got the diaries that was taken from the naval casualties list ,

regarads dave

Thanks Dave, i live in hope that i can get the info from Yeovilton but i have tried in the past, but have never got any replies.

From January 1918 the RND was holding the Flesquieres Salient near Cambrai. They then withdrew acros the River Ancre in the face of the German assault of late March 1918 and held the line there until 15 April 1918.

From January 1918 the RND was holding the Flesquieres Salient near Cambrai. They then withdrew acros the River Ancre in the face of the German assault of late March 1918 and held the line there until 15 April 1918.

Thankyou i know the actual position they were killed at, just trying to fill in a couple of grey areas.

i know the actual position they were killed at, just trying to fill in a couple of grey areas.

Try to get hold of The Hood Battalion by Len Sellers, published by Leo Cooper, 1995, ISBN 0 85053 386 9

i know the actual position they were killed at, just trying to fill in a couple of grey areas.

Try to get hold of The Hood Battalion by Len Sellers, published by Leo Cooper, 1995, ISBN 0 85053 386 9

I have this but the weeks leading upto april are a little vague i'm afraid, i have been in contact with the direct descendants of sub lt Brackenridge who wrote the entry for the period of death as well.

Horatio 2, is the memorial service still held at the Collingwood memorial at Blandford?

Yes, the first week in June (closest Friday to 4 June).

Yes, the first week in June (closest Friday to 4 June).

Thankyou, is Roy Adam still the gent to contact? you did give me his details sometime ago, which i still have.

I have this but the weeks leading upto april are a little vague i'm afraid, i have been in contact with the direct descendants of sub lt Brackenridge who wrote the entry for the period of death as well.

The reason for the vagueness must be a lack of diary records. Presumably the various adjutants etc. were otherwise occupied at this time. The divisional historian (Jerrold) notes

'Between the 13th and 27th March, the losses of the Division (including those from gas) were in the neighbourhood of 6,000 officers and men. In all this time no reinforcements had reached the battalions. The average strength of the battalions engaged in the counter-attacks of the 27th was not more than 250, including transport and other headquarter details; yet they succeeded.'

There was an action on the 5th/6th April 1918 at/in Aveluy Wood. For this the Hood's brigade was in reserve at Forceville, at an hour's notice to move.

The reason for the vagueness must be a lack of diary records. Presumably the various adjutants etc. were otherwise occupied at this time. The divisional historian (Jerrold) notes

'Between the 13th and 27th March, the losses of the Division (including those from gas) were in the neighbourhood of 6,000 officers and men. In all this time no reinforcements had reached the battalions. The average strength of the battalions engaged in the counter-attacks of the 27th was not more than 250, including transport and other headquarter details; yet they succeeded.'

There was an action on the 5th/6th April 1918 at/in Aveluy Wood. For this the Hood's brigade was in reserve at Forceville, at an hour's notice to move.

The movements from Forceville, are noted, apparently the Hoods moved into Aveluy on or around 8th April,it was all hands to the pumps at this time and i know the RWF had some guys attached to the Hood Btn and their records have been most helpful. Sub lt Brackenridge filled out the report i have, although the dates may be slightly wrong, however, my GF was killed at the sametime as Wallace, and exhumed from his original battlefield grave in 1920 as was Wallace. I have located the position of the original burial and stood on the probable site.

The HOOD went into the front line at Mesnil on 7 April (relieving 4/BEDFORD) and remained there until relieved by the HAWKE on 13 April.

Thankyou for this, what i want to pinpoint now is the camp at Forceville.