Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Persian Gulf Expeditionary Force

Sparky

Was the Persian Gulf Expeditionary Force another name for the Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force?

The service papers for one of my guys state that he was part of the Persiona Gulf Expeditionary Force. I have always assumed that this was the same as the Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force, but now I am starting to write up his story, I need to corroborate this.

His unit had been transferred back to the UK, and he was attached to the Indian Telegraph Department, which were definitely out in Mesopotamia, but might they have been elsewhere as well? Little seems to be known about them, so this just increases the need to try to pin things down a bit more.

Any clarification would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards

Mark

Hello Mark, Mesopotamia is in the Persian Gulf , So I will have a guess, that they are both the same.

but I am sure some expert will put us right!!!

best regards

Ian

Hello Mark, Mesopotamia is in the Persian Gulf , So I will have a guess, that they are both the same.

but I am sure some expert will put us right!!!

best regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your input.

Yes, everything seems to point to the two forces being the same, but it would be nice to get definite confirmation. Just had another idea of another source to try - think I might have a trawl through the Times Online when I spare couple of hours, and see if that can provide any evidence.

Kind Regards

Mark

The force sent to Mesopotamia was originally named Indian Expeditionary Force D. Its initial purpose was to defend British interests in the Persian Gulf; this included capturing Basra, but not moving deep into Mesopotamia. It was renamed the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force at some point in 1916-17. I've often seen it referred to as just the Expeditionary Force, where the context makes it clear which expeditionary force is meant.

I can find three references to the Persian Gulf Expeditionary Force. The first is on p. 124 of A Naval History of World War I by Paul Halpern. The second is on the war memorial linked here, which is to Driver Thomas Dennis who died at Basra. The third is from a website which is selling reproductions of contemporary prints of acts of bravery during operations against the Ottoman Empire. The page is titled 'Persian Campaign', but the actions depicted are at the Suez Canal or in Mesopotamia. The final one is described as following:

'Subadar Dunga Rawat Bringing Up Troops To The River At Kurna, Under Very Heavy Fire.

During the fighting on December 7th 1914, in the operations of the Persian Gulf Expeditionary Force at Kurna, Subadar Dunga Rawat, of the 120th Rajputana Infantry, with half the double company, which was about two hundred yards in the rear, reached the river bank, opposite Kurna. The place was strongly held by the enemy, and a heavy fire from the front and left flank swept them at very close range. Returning, however, Subadar Dunga Rawat brought up the remainder of his command to the riverbank, two sections at a time. He carried out his orders with great coolness and bravery, and was deservedly rewarded with the Indian Order of Merit.'

This appears to be the original text. Kurna is the contemporary English spelling of Qurna in southern Iraq.

Subadar Rawat and Driver Dennis were both serving in the area of area of operations of Indian Expeditionary Force D, later renamed the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force, but are both described as being part of the Persian Gulf Expeditionary Force. I'd therefore say that the Mesoptamian Expeditionary Force and the Persian Gulf Expeditionary Force are the same thing.

Just a litle addition for clarification - I'm not an expert at all - but broadly speaking, Persia was what is now known as 'Iran'; and Mesopotamia was what is now 'Iraq'. Hope that helps.

Eljo

• 2 weeks later...

Martin & Eljo,

Thanks for your responses.

I have now found two more cases of men who were in the Persian Gulf Expeditionary Force who died at Basra. One of these is my guy that prompted the original enquiry - he died at No. 32 British General Hospital, which I found out yesterday was sited at the time in the Old Liqorice Factory in Basra.

With Martin's detailed reply, I think that resolves my question beyond reasonable doubt.

Many thanks

Mark