Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bavarian State Archive photographs

michaeldr

Those who know me here will admit that I am a sucker for old photographs and will, I hope, excuse my further promotion of the site first brought to our attention by Wdragon - It's too good to miss!

(see his thread here

While the Bavarian State Archive concentrates mostly on the aerial photographs of their Squadron 304, there is must more to be seen here

Most of the non-aerial-reconnaissance photographs that will be of interest are to be found in the last sub-section: see the left hand margin

Bodenaufnahmen

(413 Eintrage)

These photographs include sites of interest, aerodromes, planes and personalities.

Eg: nine photographs of British bombs exploding on the Afule Flugplatz

Flyers and their planes

The results of crashes

The funeral of two flyers at Nazareth, attended by Marshal Liman von Sanders

Photographs of Kress, Falkenhayn, Franz von Papen, Prinz Georg, Djemal, etc

The three allied pilot PoWs are to be seen here http://www.gda.bayer...laestina_1267-h

U-Boat in Beirut Harbour

Photographs of aircraft being transported on trains via the Taurus mountain and tunnels (some PoWs from Kut worked on these tunnels and there are claims that they managed to damage Central Powers planes as they passed through)

The destruction of military stores at Haida Paschar railway station (Wavell thought that this was the work of British agents – see his 'The Palestine Campaigns' footnote page 110)

Thanks again to Wdragon for bringing this to our attention

Those who know me here will admit that I am a sucker for old photographs and will, I hope, excuse my further promotion of the site first brought to our attention by Wdragon - It's too good to miss!

(see his thread here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158088&pid=1528509&st=0entry1528509)

While the Bavarian State Archive concentrates mostly on the aerial photographs of their Squadron 304, there is must more to be seen here

Most of the non-aerial-reconnaissance photographs that will be of interest are to be found in the last sub-section: see the left hand margin

Bodenaufnahmen

(413 Eintrage)

These photographs include sites of interest, aerodromes, planes and personalities.

Eg: nine photographs of British bombs exploding on the Afule Flugplatz

Flyers and their planes

The results of crashes

The funeral of two flyers at Nazareth, attended by Marshal Liman von Sanders

Photographs of Kress, Falkenhayn, Franz von Papen, Prinz Georg, Djemal, etc

The three allied pilot PoWs are to be seen here http://www.gda.bayer...laestina_1267-h

U-Boat in Beirut Harbour

Photographs of aircraft being transported on trains via the Taurus mountain and tunnels (some PoWs from Kut worked on these tunnels and there are claims that they managed to damage Central Powers planes as they passed through)

The destruction of military stores at Haida Paschar railway station (Wavell thought that this was the work of British agents – see his 'The Palestine Campaigns' footnote page 110)

Thanks again to Wdragon for bringing this to our attention

Excellent news! Up until lately these collections, or most of them, were practically available for full time researchers who can spent time and money visiting the actual archives, or looking into many of the copies kept in collections is academic libraries. Just been to Munich for a day X2 last month, but again got carried away from doing “serious” stuff like going to the archives, ice skating and going to the Galeria Kaufhof instead…

Just after a few minutes of running through the catalogue (how come “serious” treasures are always difficult to sort?) I can see that there are many pieces of data useful for those who research geographical history: Detailed locations, and pattern, or British and ANZAC camps, field trenched hastily dug be the Turks in various places during the aftermath of the 3rd Gaza, etc. Seems like the collections are based on “slots” of aerials taken during different missions. Some slots are titled under place name X, but include also photos of places Y, D, G, while others are titles after Y, but also include X… Apparently the pilots/lab people called each slot under the name of the main target of the mission, or the first location caught in the series of pictures.