Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme in Snow

Dragon

Now the Summer Solstice is over, what more appropriate time to look ahead to what awaits.

I've mentioned before that because I have little memory of four years from 1997, I keep making happy serendipitous discoveries; and during this week's hunt for something I came across my Somme in Snow pictures. I knew, I just knew, I had them somewhere, but when the topic was being discussed a few months ago, I hadn't a clue where to look.

So, back into the Tardis... February 1996. I had an emergency date with an operating theatre the following week and I pleaded with everyone to let me go to the Somme just one more time, just in case... you know...

And it turned out to be the week even the Channel Tunnel was closed by snow, and the continent ground to a halt, and we sat in the bar at la Paix in Bapaume and stared mesmerised at the cascading snow and thought: this is mad, utterly mad.

This is the road from the Ulster Tower to Thiepval. See the triangular road sign? I have put some of my others in the appropriate pages of the Gallery.

(Martin, please note, I avoided posting this on your birthday. :) )

Gwyn

post-4-1087940604.jpg

May 2001 me at Somme :rolleyes:

post-4-1087947465.jpg

?May  :blink:

I have never known snow in may?!

I have photos of Knutsford, Cheshire, UK, in snow in May three or four years or so ago; and I took them! May 17th, it was.

Methinks Chester is indulging his doggy sensa yoomer.

Gwyn

I have photos of Knutsford, Cheshire, UK, in snow in May three or four years or so ago; and I took them! May 17th, it was.

Methinks Chester is indulging his doggy sensa yoomer.

Gwyn

Sorry, I should have qualified that. In ten years of living there and twenty five of visiting it, I have never known snow on the Somme in May.

What is a "sensa yoomer"... ???? :blink:

Paul,

This is a long story. Probably only two pals can explain the enigma: burlington and chester-famous messenger dog. If you are curious you have to read the following threads entirely in order to understand "Somme Under Snow":