Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

estimate of those classified as 'missing' in Salonika

Ashleigh

Hello.

I am doing some research and am finding it difficult to fathom out how many men were listed as 'missing' in Salonika. In particular I would like to know approximately how many were British and from which regiments.

Yours Ashleigh.

I suppose a starting point may be those listed on the Memorial to the Missing at Doiran.

Cheers Andy.

I suppose a starting point may be those listed on the Memorial to the Missing at Doiran.

Cheers Andy.

Hi Andy.

Thank you for your reply.

I was up at the library at Newcastle and had a brief look through the books of those who were buried at Salonika. I think a few hundred at least went into graves as being unknown. It was time to close the library so I didn't get a chance to look at it properly.

Ashleigh.

Ashliegh

I assume that you are talking about personnel that actually arrived at Salonika, as thier are another approximate 500 troops and nurses who are commerated at the Mikra British Cemetary who were Lost at Sea due to various enemy actions.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm.

Yes I am talking about people that landed at Salonika and served there.

It is tragic though that so many were lost at sea.

Ashleigh.

• 1 month later...

Could you tell me what happened to the British war prisoners and collected British killed or wounded bodies by Bulgarians.Were/Are any graves in back of Bulgarian defence?