Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

179th Siege Bty RGA - September 1918

brimacombe

Frederick Headon was originally with the RE (Dvr. 53437) and appears to have gone to France with this unit in 11 May 1915.

Sometime after that he was transferred to 179th siege battery RGA (Gnr. 197303). He is listed as killed in action on 6th November 1918.

Although I have been able to find some info regarding the units entry into France in October 1916, I have been unable to find any information relating to the period during which Headon was killed.

Can anyone help?

Hi,

179 Siege Bty. was in 81 Brigade RGA. in XXII Corps 1st Army at that time. It is most probable that 179 was with 81 Brigade RGA from the early part of 1918. From August until November XXII Corps advance just North of Arras via Valenciennes to the Sambre somewhere South of Mons, where it all began in 1914. The advance to victory. At least a start for you.

tony P

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd try and see if, through the forum, I can add a little more to the biography for Frederick Headon.

Have been unable to discover much about 179 SB - (thanks to Tony P for the above bit of info and apologies for not saying thankyou earlier - something I always endeavour to do). So, are there any more Siege Bty experts out there who can help?

Looking forward to your replies as always

NOTE: An error in the original post - his date of death was 6 SEPTEMBER 1918 NOT 6 November 1918

Unfortunately the war diary of 179th Siege Battery only goes through February 1918. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick - does anyone have access to 81Bde Diary for the same period? Perhaps I might be able to get some idea of operations of the Bty from that?

For operations and casualties search the Canadian Corps freely online and it will tell you. He would have most likely transferred November 1917.

Rgds

Paul

Hi Paul

I'm confused now (doesn't take much!) Are you saying that the Bty became part of the Canadian Army, or Headon transferred to the CEF? Sorry if I'm being thick (it's just me!)

If so, which war diaries should I be looking at

Have just answered my own question! have found the Brigade under the Canadian War diaries - Thanks Paul!

Reference:

RG9 , Militia and Defence , Series III-D-3 , Volume 4958 , Reel T-10774-10775

File : 505 , Access code: 90 File Title: War diaries - General Officer Commanding, Royal Artillery, Canadian Corps Outside Dates: 1918/09/01-1918/11/30 Finding Aid number: 9-52

I wonder if I could but into this topic with a request. I and researching the history of the Rarotongan Company NZEF who were employed at ammunition dumps for 22 Corps. During the 3rd battle of Gaza in Palestine in late 1917 a large number of Rarotongans were detached to the 10th and 97th Heavy Batteries RA as extra gun crews and ammo haulers. I have been unsuccessful in obtaining any info from RA sources such as war diaries etc.

I would be grateful if any of you gents could steer me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Nee soon

New Zealand

Neeson

You'll probably get more forum members looking at your request if you post it as a separate thread - with the unit etc in the post title...

Quote: " ….if any of you gents could steer me in the right direction"

Nee soon,

Just a polite little steer then for when you open your new topic, as I think your references are worded slightly incorrectly. There was no 97 HB; you require information on 10 Hvy Bty RGA and 97 HAG (Heavy Artillery Group). 10 HB was actually in 100 HAG at the time but tactically attached for a short spell under control of 97 HAG.

Rgds

Paul