Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment is this

Susan Horton

I come across this picture at the back of another old photo. The photo came from my step mums family and alas there are none left that could remember.

Clues

It looks like it was originally taken for a newspaper because stamped on the back is "Telegraph Photography Copyright".

My stepmum came from the north and the family tended to be North and West Yorkshire and Durham.

Info about this regiment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

post-43584-042897700 1294352371.jpg

I come across this picture at the back of another old photo. The photo came from my step mums family and alas there are none left that could remember.

Clues

It looks like it was originally taken for a newspaper because stamped on the back is "Telegraph Photography Copyright".

My stepmum came from the north and the family tended to be North and West Yorkshire and Durham.

Thanks

Sue

Sue it looks like the Gloucestershire Regiment to me but the photo resolution is not brilliant. As a regiment they had 'yellow facings' and that would fit in with the background colour to the side drums, which was/is always in the facing colour.

post-599-042555200 1294353436.jpg

Can you provide close-up scans of the clearest drum and the soldiers' badges? Better scans of selected areas will still meet the forums' image size limits and provide the best details possible for others to decipher.

Some guidance with a Canadian viewpoint: Part 18: Photo Forensics: Badges and Patches

Cheers

Mike

Another possibility is the Lincolnshire Regiment who also had a pale hued facing colour.

post-599-084564700 1294354308.jpg

West Yorkshire Regiment would be my guess, a close up of the badge would help though.

Steve

Hi Sue,

I think that West Yorkshire Regiment is most likely--but I'm afraid that I can't make much out of the drums!!? However, I'm quite sure that someone will have some ideas regarding these before too long.

Robert

West Yorkshire Regiment would be my guess, a close up of the badge would help though.

Steve

Yes, looking at the improved resolution I agree, it's surprising what a difference it has made even though from a newspaper image. I can make out the running horse shape. I think the drums have been borrowed from the Seaforth Highlanders (not unheard of in the Great War when service battalions were initially ill-equipped) .

post-599-073350600 1294358303.jpg