Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDALS STOLEN LAST NIGHT

Guest tafski

A long shot but may help get these back last night a friend of mines house was broken into and he lives in the Thirsk area N yorks and the following medals were stolen

Milatary Medal and Bar 14 star Trio and bar to a Sgt Sharpe Scots guards

QSA with bars Belmont modder river to a PVT Part Coldstream Guards

An unammed Gsm George 6th with bars SE Asia 45-46 Malaya CSM Borneo Malaya Peninsular South Arabia all replacements

also my friends own medal group which is

CSM N Ireland 1st Gulf with clasp UN Cyprus UN Bosnia Nato former Yugoslavia Jubille 2002 and Accumalated service medal medals that are marked to

GDSM T STEVENS 24530959 SCOTS GUARDS

Also 62 Rolls of medal ribbon from ww2 to presnt day

A LONG SHOT But if anyody on the forum who collects is offered any of these please contact me

Regards

Tafski

OMG! I hope he gets them back somehow, especially his own for goodness sake! :angry2:

Jim

Tafski

I know this may come across as a potentially daft question but did the burglary extend further than medals, i.e. were other household items stolen, tellies etc. This may give us a clue if these were 'stolen to order' or were just taken by an awful opportunist. The reason I ask is that my friend's flat got broken into and all that was stolen was militaria. Tunics, rifles, original SBR etc. The majority showed up at a militaria fair. I really hope your friend is coping alright. This must be a very stressful situation. I will keep an eye out. I will be at Stoneleigh Militaria Fair at the end of the month and will check over all the WW1 medals I come across carefully.

Best,

Laura

I agree, the BMF would be a good starting point. To loose medals like that including your own.

There are some trash out there. Hope he gets them back.

Cheers Andy.

Tafski

I know this may come across as a potentially daft question but did the burglary extend further than medals, i.e. were other household items stolen, tellies etc. This may give us a clue if these were 'stolen to order' or were just taken by an awful opportunist. The reason I ask is that my friend's flat got broken into and all that was stolen was militaria. Tunics, rifles, original SBR etc. The majority showed up at a militaria fair. I really hope your friend is coping alright. This must be a very stressful situation. I will keep an eye out. I will be at Stoneleigh Militaria Fair at the end of the month and will check over all the WW1 medals I come across carefully.

Best,

Laura

Hi Laura sems that some jewellery went as well but it seems they may have targeted him just for the medals also these groups will be put on the BWM site

thanks

tafski

What makes it more disturbing is if he was targetted specifically for the medals, it was either someone he knows or someone who learned he had these medals. Was he at any events where he displayed the medals or anything like that before they were stolen? That could possibly narrow things down a bit?

excuse my language but ****** me the boys in blue on the ball just had a phone call scum have been detained and property seized appears his medals have been found minus all the ribbons so stand down pals a result and a pretty damm sharp one

kindest regards tafski :poppy:

That is excellent news Tafski. I hope they get what is coming to them!

I very much doubt it should be left to the regiment to sort lol

regards a very happy tafski

Glad there looks to be a positive outcome to this.

That really was a quick turn around wasn't it?

Cheers,

Nigel

appears his medals have been found minus all the ribbons

kindest regards tafski :poppy:

What the .......... What were they going to do with them? Awesome outcome anyway.

Cheers Andy.

What the .......... What were they going to do with them? Awesome outcome anyway.

Cheers Andy.

With regards to the medals being minus their ribbons, this makes me think that it was a 'steal to order' job.

A properly mounted group of 7 like Tafski detailed takes up quite a bit of room and might not fit in the average burglar's pocket. If your burglar takes along a pair of scissors or a blade, the medals can be cut off in seconds and easily put into a pocket. The ribbons on a modern group make up a miniscule percentage of the total value anyway, if anything at all, and is the average burglar clued up on values anyway?

I think the other stuff that was stolen might just have been incidental to try to make it look like a general burglary which struck lucky with the medals. I've got a bad feeling about this.

If it was me in the owner's shoes, I would be feeling very uneasy about which of my friends or acquaintances is all they purport to be. Or am I just an old cynic who trusts no one?

Cheers,

Nigel

I very much doubt it should be left to the regiment to sort lol

I wouldn't disagree with that :thumbsup:

Bruce a pity SAD has been stopped I for one would pull the trigger

BIFF :thumbsup:

With regards to the medals being minus their ribbons, this makes me think that it was a 'steal to order' job.

A properly mounted group of 7 like Tafski detailed takes up quite a bit of room and might not fit in the average burglar's pocket. If your burglar takes along a pair of scissors or a blade, the medals can be cut off in seconds and easily put into a pocket. The ribbons on a modern group make up a miniscule percentage of the total value anyway, if anything at all, and is the average burglar clued up on values anyway?

I think the other stuff that was stolen might just have been incidental to try to make it look like a general burglary which struck lucky with the medals. I've got a bad feeling about this.

If it was me in the owner's shoes, I would be feeling very uneasy about which of my friends or acquaintances is all they purport to be. Or am I just an old cynic who trusts no one?

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel

It appears these people didnt know my friend as far as we know they were part of a group who had carried out a spate of break ins , in and around the area and were based on the other side of the county. and appears they were well known to the police .This is perhaps the reason that they were caught as fast as they were , a great result and thanks to the boys in Blue once again

Tafski :poppy:

Tafski,

We have our moments!!!

Happy new year and a great result!!!

TT

Tafski,

We have our moments!!!

Happy new year and a great result!!!

TT

AYE TT you boys in blue do have some momments :rolleyes: happy new year to you

Tafski :poppy: