Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Insignia Reference Books

Tim Godden

Hi Pals,

Having been involved in an enlightening discussion in re the insiginia of 2/15th Londons in another thread I have had my eyes opened to a couple of titles and a society that I did not know existed.

Please could Pals recommend titles that outline battle insignia and formation badges of the British Army during The Great War?

With kind regards,

Tim

Osprey Men-at-Arms series The British Army 1914-1918 has some good descriptions and illustrations but is by no means exhaustive. A good starting point and reasonably inexpensive though.

OSPREYS- British Battle Insignia 1914-1918 by Mike Chappell is a handy little book although not exhustive its still a well thumbed 'insignia bible' on my bookcase. I believe it was reprinted but copies are hard to find and I think becoming expensive? There is another book called something like 'Divisional Signs' which is a reprint of a 1920s book. It gives the histroy behind the Divisional Formation badges and signs in WW1. I'll locate it at home and give you the exact title later.

Mark

Thanks to both of you for your input, I have a copy of Chappell's book. I find it incredibly frustrating at times as it seems to be a book made up by gaps. It would also be useful to have references to the sources of information.

I have come across the Divisional Signs book from another thread, but think I will have to get a copy.

Many thanks,

Tim

I have come across the Divisional Signs book from another thread, but think I will have to get a copy.

Save your money - you'll know them all already. It's mono, and not much use.

One under-appreciated source is the cigarette cards of the 1920s. These guys are a good reliable source - albeit the second set of Players has increased wildly in price. Might be worth looking for a re-issue rather than originals.

Div Signs #1

Div Signs #2

The Players cards can be viewed here:

Online Div Cards

Victory Signs is a misnomer, as it's also unit insignia.

Victory Signs

Reprinted and origianal sets can be found on eBay, although those there's a lot of optimists hoping to sell singles for a quid or so each.

Cheers,

GT.

I bought those ciggie cards years ago for about a fiver for the lot. Maybe I should cash them in ...

Cheers for the links GT. Are the Victory Signs all Divisonal Insignia as I picked the Players sets up at an antique fair a few years ago.

I may leave the divisonal signs book for the moment.

You mentioned in a previous thread the 'Cloth Formation Insignia' Major John Waring, this sounds to be the bible of battle insignia. Do you know if the MHS have any plans to reprint this volume?

Kind regards,

Tim

Tim Chappell's book is of its time I think originally printed over 20 years ago but I know what you mean. Re the Div Signs book I think mine was a fiver and despite its monochrome pictures I haven't regretted the outlay.

Thanks to both of you for your input, I have a copy of Chappell's book. I find it incredibly frustrating at times as it seems to be a book made up by gaps. It would also be useful to have references to the sources of information.

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim

Can you clear your inbox as I've been trying to PM you about Waring - and you're full.

Cheers,

GT.

Morning GT,

Duly cleared.

Cheers,

Tim