Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID Help Required

taki183

Hi, could anybody please help identify this uniform for my great grandfather, Joseph Henry Hill b. Hunslet 1890:

post-60558-099909000 1294256096.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality it's all I have.

Thanks

Hi, could anybody please help identify this uniform for my great grandfather, Joseph Henry Hill b. Hunslet 1890:

post-60558-099909000 1294256096.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality it's all I have.

Thanks

A RAF Warrant Officer of the very late 1920s or early 1930s.

There's a MIC on the National Archives for a Joseph Hill who was with the West Yorks (14962) and then the RFC (138532). No service records for him and no RAF number. Could this be him maybe?

Thanks, yes that records a good possibilty although I have him living in Sheffield, South Yorkshire on the 1901 & 1911 census. Could he still join the West Yorks from here?

I think RAF records have to be requested from the MoD and are generally only available to those who can prove they are next of kin, which obviously shouldn't be a problem for you.

Edit - I can see from the MIC that the man in question landed in France on 11 September 1915, so assuming your great-grandfather was the right age, I don't think there's any reason why it shouldn't be him. I'm sure an expert will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that by then men were being put where they were needed.

Edit 2 - the only Hunslet I know of is on the outskirts of Leeds, so perhaps that would help explain why he was in the West Yorks? Oh - and welcome to the Forum!

The MIC above turns out not to be the one, I've located the correct one as below. Is it possible for someone to decipher it as I have no idea what the abbreviations mean.

post-60558-045020400 1294351248.jpg

I've also found his Service records which all tie in, it seems he was wounded in action twice, once by gun shot wounds at Gallipoli in June 1915, then by Myalgia (?) in France in 1917.

Is it normal for someone serving in the army to then later join the RAF as identified by the uniform.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

The MIC above turns out not to be the one, I've located the correct one as below. Is it possible for someone to decipher it as I have no idea what the abbreviations mean.

post-60558-045020400 1294351248.jpg

I've also found his Service records which all tie in, it seems he was wounded in action twice, once by gun shot wounds at Gallipoli in June 1915, then by Myalgia (?) in France in 1917.

Is it normal for someone serving in the army to then later join the RAF as identified by the uniform.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

Royal Engineers (RE) is a common background for early 'other rank' members of the RAF. This is because the pregenitor of the RAF, the Royal Flying Corps, was first formed by balloon sections of the RE, whose task was to provide aerial observation. As the army's only truly technical corps (at that time), the RE provided the necessary riggers and mechanics for servicing the early and quite flimsy aircraft. These RE/RFC men often became early members of the RAF on its formation in April 1918.

Congratulations on finding the MIC and related service papers!

Theatre of War (1) = France - and the date he landed.

The columns "Medal", "Roll" and "Page" are references to where the entries will be found in the Medal Rolls: the ones I've seen so far are bound books held in the National Archives at Kew. Some contain a little extra detail, others are quite bare. Sometimes members already hold their own personal copies.

Spr is Sapper - think I've seen it described as the RE equivalent of Private (but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong). L/Cpl - Lance Corporal and WOII - Warrant Officer Class 2, I would imagine.

Myalgia is an ailment rather than a wound - chronic muscle pain. From what I can gather when it appears on service records it generally refers to dodgy knee joints. The trenches played havoc on the knees, it seems, and you see it on an awful lot of records.

Steve.