Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Princess Mary Tin - Pipe

fatbob

I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the pipe that was given out with the tin.

I have been lucky enough today to purchase a framed 1914 tin which has a pipe in the frame underneath it. The pipe looks unused and is stamped with with what looks like a manufacturers number (it's hard to make it out as there is a piece of string over it).

I would love to know if this is the pipe that came with the tin.

I also managed to buy an accompanying frame which has the picture of the Princess and the Christmas card that both came from this tin.

Apparantly the tin may well have its other contents inside, another burning issue there! Do I remove the back of the frame and check it out or do I leave it be? This is a huge dilema!

There were actually quite a variety of gifts issued with the tins.Tins tended to just contain tobacco/cigarettes or chocolate.The other items associated with it (pipes,pencils,writing sets etc.) usually were separately issued,sometimes several months/years later. It'd be interesting to see a complete collection of everything that was issued with it.

As for your dilemma about the framed tin.Personally,I'd (very carefully) open it.Curiousity would drive me mad if I didn't!!! :huh:

Dave.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I'm tending to assume that this is the pipe that was issued with the tin as it has not been used and is in the same frame as the tin itself. But then again maybe that is just me being hopeful!

I've been sitting in the house for a couple of hours since bringing the tin home and believe me Dave it is driving me mad!!! I think I may just reach for a craft knife and very carefully see what's in the tin.

Wish me luck!

"Hals und Beinbruch!" (see one of my other postings!!!)

Dave :D

My work is finished.......

It's amazing how many metal tacs one person can put in a frame!

I can reveal that this tin does indeed contain a complete packet of cigarettes and one complete tobacco packet.

Having given into temptation and opened the tin I can assure you that I shall not be tempted to open the tobacco but instead I shall stick to my Golden Virginia! :D

Thanks Paul,

I've just checked out the very informative Imperial War Museum site, which has details about the tin.

Apparantly eight firms supplied the pipes for the tin at a cost of £12,340 11s 5d. The total number of pipes totalled 483,875.

There is a small mark on this pipe but I can't make it out and I'm sure it's too small to be the famous monogram.

The makers name appears to be XELA with the registration number 324330 below. I've had a quick look on the net but can find no reference to this maker.

I suspect that the man that recieved this tin was a non-smoker as the contents are intact. But it does seem odd to me that someone would go to the trouble of framing all the contents of the tin and adding a pipe if it were not connected. But the missing monogram just adds to the mystery.

Perhaps we will never know!

:(

Quite a lot of the recipients of the tin/gifts who were smokers didn't actually smoke the contents but kept them as souvenirs.You'll find that most of the items that were issued as part of the Xmas gift package do actually have the monogram,but I suppose you can find some (especially the later issues) that don't

Another informative website that has a lot of good info. about these tins and contents is Paul Hinckley's site. Unfortunately I can't remember the title (is it "Old Contemptables"????) or it's URL.No doubt someone out there will know it and post it here.

Dave.

I suspect this story is not unique but a friend having given up smoking recently was desperate...in a fit of despair the only tobacco to be found was in his Princess Mary tin...I think "rough" was the word to describe it!

I admit to also trying some from my own Mary tin, I don't think 80 years of maturing does much for the tobacco - not to be recommended!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Giles,

As an ex-smoker now (2yrs 3weeks & 1 day) I can now smile at this. I once tried capstan full strength cigarettes which my grandfather and his brothers smoked during the war. I ended up with bronchitis!!!

Oh boy!

Ian

:huh: