Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge assistance please

Michelle Young

• Admin

The (bad) scan attached is supposed to be of the Albert Allen on my signature, killed in action when serving with the Royal West Kents. He was born in Corsham Wiltshire and enlisted in Tonbridge where he was working as a footman. That isn't a RWK cap badge so can anyone shed any light? I appreciate in anticipation any help that you can provide.

Michelle

post-230-012083500 1294167129.jpg

The (bad) scan attached is supposed to be of the Albert Allen on my signature, killed in action when serving with the Royal West Kents. He was born in Corsham Wiltshire and enlisted in Tonbridge where he was working as a footman. That isn't a RWK cap badge so can anyone shed any light? I appreciate in anticipation any help that you can provide.

Michelle

He appears to be wearing an oilskin cap cover on his SD cap,and the badge beneath is an extremely unusual shape. As you say, definitely not RWK. Have you any other photos or clues to any other units he might have served with? The badge is unlike anything I have ever seen and my personal collection of WW1 infantry badges is all-inclusive.

How about Anson Battalion RND?

TT

In fact more I think about it and compare to my example 100% certain.

TT

• Admin

I think but I'm not sure that he was also in the Wilts but that isn't a Wilts regiment badge either. the only other photo is him with more of his family in same cap badge. Personally I'm not sure it is him but I am getting the photos and info second hand.

We can identify my husbands granny in the family groups and can identify Alex Allen who was RE but we only had a pic of Albert as a young boy before.

TT I think you have it- thanks!

Michelle

• Admin

Thank you for your prompt and excellent assistance as usual.

Michelle

Yes, Anson Battalion RND, it fits with the oilskin cover too. Well spotted TT! One of many RND I do not have. Here it is, I had not realised how large it was either:

post-599-090528900 1294169191.jpg

Here's a similar image from another thread in this section that shows the badge again and also the white lanyard.

post-599-016586300 1294169793.jpg