Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MONIFIETH (or BARNHILL) Cemetery

RNCVR

I wonder if anyone lives in the area this cemetery is located (Scotland?)

&/or is planning on travelling sometime in future to that area & could take a photo or two of a gravesite for me?

The mans name is - ERA3 David TAYLOR. (ON-M5369)

He died on 29 Nov 1918, of pneumonia whilst serving on Submarine J-5 & was buried in this cemetery. CW Grave reference is E.2.252 & 253.

& perhaps a stupid question, but why two grave refs???

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

I don't know why he has two grave numbers but there is one other war grave in that cemetery with two numbers. So it looks like a numbering system peculiar to that location.

It is possible that his n-o-k bought two plots for a large private memorial.

Perhaps someone in the area can confirm the actual layout of the grave.

Hi Terry & thanks fo the response,

that thought had occured to me also, perhaps a large headstone, or perhaps another family member(wife?) buried there?? but nothing mentioned about anyone else being in the plot(s) on the CWG register. He is shown as "son of William Taylor, of Dundee, so I am guessing his father was his n.o.k. & he was unmarried at time of death.

Bryan

Bryan,

Sounds like a family plot. Barnhill is a bit spread out and I only know the area where a family member is buried in the new section. I doubt I'll be anywhere near Barnhill in the near future but, my wife's cousin lives nearby. If no-one else up there offers, I'll email him for you.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Bryan

Think I can help you. I live not too far from Dundee and would be happy to cycle over to Monifieth to take some photographs for you. It would probably be not this weekend but next as I'm through in Glasgow this coming weekend.

You can let me know if you want me to send them to you by post or scan them and email them. Oh, and just so that I'm absolutely clear can anyone tell me......how do you go about finding the grave from the reference numbers? (Knowing me I could be wondering around the graveyard for hours! And I'd rather not get lifted by the Tayside police!) :rolleyes:

All the best.

Joanne

In many churchyards the numbers don't actually help you as they all seem to employ different systems and some just allocate a burial number which bears no relation to the actual location.

The best starting point is to find the area with the burials of the period. Also, you can use the numbers of any graves with CWGC headstones as reference points if you get their numbers off the CWGC website before you go. These may help you to work out if there is a regular pattern.

You could also call the local minister for advice before you set off.

Thanks Malcolm, Terry & Joanne for all the advice & assistance.

If you are able to get to the cemetery Joanne & get a couple photos that would be great, yr convenience of course, whenever you are in the neighborhood.

Whatever method is best for you is Ok with me, If you could take printable photos that might be best, altho I can download digital pics - e mailing would be OK.

If you could get a shot or shots of the area & the headstone that would be super.

As far as you finding his site, I have no idea what to do, I would go with Terry's advice! I know when I am looking for a gravesite in Canadian cemeteries I go to the office first & get the site details there, then if I can locate a groundsperson I get them to point me in the right direction - I have never missed one yet, but some of course dont have headstones. The smaller rural cemeteries are a problem as there is no office & first one must locate the township that administers the cemetery. I just did one in a small town in Ont recently & it took some looking!

Sooooo, best of luck Joanne, thanks much in advance! :rolleyes:

Bryan

Hi Terry and Bryan

Thanks for the advice that's useful, I'll consult the CWGC website before I go. From my experience not many cemetaries have gate houses or offices any more. But I'll get in touch with Dundee City Council whom I think will be responsible for the cemetary. I'm sure they'll be able to point me in the right direction.

No problem I'm very happy to take photos of the surrounding area or anywhere else in Dundee. Just let me know. I'll do it not this weekend but next. I'm very glad to help. Whereabouts in Canada are you Bryan? Do your people originate from Dundee then? Have you ever visited here?

All the best.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for checking up on the cemetery site for me - its is very much appreciated.

Apologies for slow reply - been up north in the bush cutting wood last 3 days.

I have no idea what size the cemetery would be or where he would be therein - perhaps the plan you are suggesting would be best.

I have been in Scotland, I think near Dundee, but not 100% sure - we came into Helensburgh (which is a beautiful town) then motored up north a way to Stirling & all over that area, visited the Edinbugh area & motored all over that area also, got to Oban, then went over to Isle of Tiree (my partner's family originated on this Island & came to Canada around the late 19th C) - we really enjoyed the countryside but the driving was something else!!!

I am near Peterborough, Ontario, about 3 hrs east of Toronto, I live in the bush on a nice lake about 1 hr from town, so lots of driving to get anywhere!

Let me know how things work out - very interested in what you are able to find!!

Thanks again!

Bryan

Hi again Joanne,

I have another fellow buried in Edinburgh (which I know is a huge city - we only saw a very little bit of it when we visited there) but I dont know what cemetery he is in. I have his date of death, & I think the death notice from a Canadian newspaper (he had emigrated to Canada many yrs before, but was retn'd to Edinburgh for burial) -- is there any way you could find out where he is buried from newspaper archives in Edinburgh??

Thanks again,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

No worries, I'll check out the cemetary this coming weekend, and let you know how things go. Great Malcolm can cover the Edinburgh angle, and I'll keep the Dundee side covered :ph34r: We don't do distance like you do in Canada..and I'm on a bike (as in a cycle) :blink: I could be missing from work for several days!

I don't know Peterborough but it sounds lovely. I've been to Canada about 5-6 times. I was in Toronto, Kingston (got relatives there). I was also in Banff, and Vancouver. Great country, had a brilliant time.

Hope you had a nice time when you were over here!

All the best. Joanne

Guys/Joanne,

Don't know if you are aware of this site which is a list of the War Memorials in Angus and the individuals listed. It is maintained by Ian Edwards who also maintains a site on the local battaltion of the Blackwatch (5th Battalion). Ian has been very helpful with research I have done on local soldiers.

http://vzone.virgin.net/ian.edwards2/index.htm

Regards

Tim D

Thank you Malcolm & Joanne. Have a safe trip to Monifieth Joanne!

yes, we enjoyed Scotland - the driving was an sudden learning curve (for my partner, I did not even attempt it!) the weather was mostly rain (which we expected) but the countryside was beautiful & virtually everyone we met was extremely pleasant - we had no bad experiences at all & would gladly return.

Malcolm - the chap's name is John Duncan WILSON.

He was a well know Bandmaster for many yrs in Toronto - & was D of M of the 7th Reg't RCA Band for 22 years.

here is excerpt from his death notice that appeared in the Toronto Globe -

" ..... Passed away peacefully on January 1, 1990 at his home in Edinburgh, Scotland, after a long illness which he bore with great patience. Dearly beloved husband of Ena Frazer. Interment January 6, 1990 in Edinburgh."

I thought he had died in Canada & remains sent to Edinburgh but I was in error, I have not looked at his file for a while - he had moved back to Edinburgh & died there. His date of birth was 12 Nov 1894.

So if you can locate his place of burial & perhaps get a photo of it that would certainly be great!! Thanks much in advance,

Bryan

Thanks for the info on this site Tim - I checked for him in Monifieth, Dundee & Forfar (he was born in Dundee, Forfarshire) & he wa not on Monifieth & he has not transcribed Dundee or Forfar as yet. I think tho that they appear all to be Army casualties, not RN. The site is a great one tho! :D

Bryan.

Guest Joanne

Hi Bryan

Got the photographs for you. It's a nice cemetary. Very nicely kept and he has a nice spot. I've got some of the surrounding area too - like Broughty Ferry and the beach were I'm sure he must have went to if he lived there. Anyway, if you want me to post them or email them to you let me know your email or postal address. Happy to do either.

Joanne

PS In the actual photos the writting is clearer. At the bottom it says 'Peace Perfect Peace'

post-19-1088806056.gif

;) Hi Joanne,

These pics are just SUPER! Thanks very much in advance, very much appreciated!

Think best if you could send me the photos via post. I'll send you PM with email & postal address.

Again very appreciative of what you have been able to do for me. Dont think it would have been possible without the forum!!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joanne,

The photos arr'd this am in good order (you forgot to put my name on the envelope but that was no problem as the rural mailman knows me well - if he gets something from UK he knows its for me!!)

& I am VERY pleased with them!!! They are super!

I would like to thank you very very much Joanne, publicly here in the forum, as without the forum this could not have taken place. I am VERY grateful to you & also the other fellows who responded to my enquiry - it is very much appreciated!!!

Hopefuly I can return the favour to you sometime,

very best.......

Bryan

No problem Bryan,

You're very welcome. Glad they got there safe and sound despite the fact I err omitted your name :blink: Well done the Canadian postal service!

Best wishes.

Joanne