Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Little self-indulgence

Russell Smith

I hope you all will forgive me for a little bit of self indulgence. In preparation for my upcoming book, the author, publisher and I thought that it would be fun to include a period style self-portrait. A few weeks ago, while shooting figure shots for another painting, I asked my wife to go ahead and take some shots of me for the self portrait while I still had the uniform and flying gear on. Its not every day that I get to play dress-up! :whistle:

I finally finished the piece last week. My first painting of 2011. Well, okay, I finished last week in 2010, but I scanned it last night. :rolleyes:

Self portrait as a German Ace in 1918

oil on linen

24" x 14.75"

Self-portrait.jpg

Self-portraitdetail.jpg

Took a look at your website :)

Once my children have grown up and left home I keep saying I will convert on of their bedroom into an artist studio and restart painting again :)

One day....

Yeah, not too shabby. whistle.png

Fair suck of the peanut, that is awesome. Some of you people have so much talent.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks guys! It was kind of a fun piece to do. Something a little different from the usual fare. I wouldn't mind doing some more of these (but of other real pilots - not all me! :whistle: ).

Russell, I certainly wouldn't want to be in your sights.

The portrait on your website looks much friendlier

cheers and happy new year

Martin B

That's a very neat caricature of yourself 'in character', Russell. The expression is certainly enigmatic. A huge amount of work seems to have gone into the superb execution of the ace's leather coat, which I think you maybe did deliberately to distract the viewer's eye from concentrating too much on the face. A fun piece, as you say, but I fancy that it perhaps turned out to be a little more challenging than you initially imagined it would be.

Mick

Excellent as always Russell - you do look a little mean but have the degree of meaness just right IMHO.

Fantastic. Award yourself the Blue Max!

Oh, you did..... :P

Steve.

Russell,

You are clearly prepetrating a deliberate fraud. The image is actually no less than that of Biggles arch rival von Stroiheim down to the sneer. You should be ashamed of yourself!

David

Russell,

You are clearly prepetrating a deliberate fraud. The image is actually no less than that of Biggles arch rival von Stroiheim down to the sneer. You should be ashamed of yourself!

David

von Stalhein, actually, though he shared a first name (Erich) with von Stroheim, the actor. Both wore monocles on occasion as well

cheers Martin B