Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Italian Rifle

4thGordons

Another odditiy that I couldn't pass up. This is going to need a lot of cleaning and I have no intention of trying to fire this.

It is a conversion of an Italian Vetterli Rifle, originally made in 10.35mm (I believe) to 6.5mm Carcano. I know very little about these but looking at the bolt design it must have been touch an go as to whether the design could handle the more poweful 6.5mm cartridge. I believe these conversions were done in 1914/15 and that most we given to second line and rear echelon forces - probably also colonial troops.

I have only just got my hands on it so I have not had time to clean it up but I thought I would post a few pics.

I would be very interested if anyone has any photographs of these rifles in wartime use with Italian troops as a realtively rapid trawl through my references has not produced any.

TIA

Chris

post-14525-067501000 1294091113.jpg

post-14525-057849200 1294091121.jpg

post-14525-095983000 1294091173.jpg post-14525-098257200 1294091204.jpg

post-14525-012811100 1294091128.jpg post-14525-001837900 1294091147.jpg

post-14525-054370100 1294091557.jpg

Hi Chris

I don't know what these are like in 6.5mm, but many, many years ago I owned one in 10.4mm calibre. Ammo was not of course available in the UK so I turned up a brass re-loadable case from bar. We used to pop a primer in, fill the case with blackpowder and stick a .45 lead bullet on the top and bang! It worked a treat and I still have the case somewhere. I think the rifle cost me about $10 back in 1963.

Your new acquisition should fit into the collection nicely, as they were issued to some British militia units in WWI.

Regards

TonyE

I would be very interested if anyone has any photographs of these rifles in wartime use with Italian troops as a realtively rapid trawl through my references has not produced any.

Chris

How about this - I'm pretty sure the guy down the far end is shouldering one of these Vetterli conversions ...... :whistle:

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-079320500 1294097281.jpg

One interesting feature of these 6.5 conversions is that it will likely have gain-twist rifling.

Interesting - I did not know that. The bore is so dirty at the moment that I can't even examine it properly. It will probably clean up so I will look out for that.

Thanks.

Chris

Interesting!

The complete denomination of your rifle is Vetterli Vitali Mod.1870/87/16. 1870 refers to the original model of the Swiss Vetterli rifle. 1887 is the year of the modification according to Vitali's project with the addition of a 4 cartridge magazine. In 1916 about 400.000 Mod. 1870/87 were modified to accomodate the now standard 6,5 mm cartridge and distributed to troops that were supposed not to be engaged in direct fighting.

Interestingly the Vetterli Vitali 1870/87/16 reported two important successes. In 1915 a "Territoriale" sentinel in Ancona (a port on the Adriatic Sea) brought down an Austrian airship fireing all his ammunition while laying on his back.

On 28 October 1917near Udine, after the Caporetto breakthrough, another Territoriale (or a Carbiniere according to other sources) killed the German General von Berrer, commander of the LI Army Corps who had gone a bit too forward on his car.

A few Vetterli Vitali 1870/87 in the original 10,35 mm must have been used in the first lines. A few findings of spent cartridges in first line trenches have been reported from different areas of the frontline.

Superb stuff, Franz, and proof, if any were needed, that the most important part of any rifle is the bloke at the back end of it. I know that TonyE used to visit Ancona regularly on business, and I'm sure that if he had known about the downing of the Austrian airship then, he would have spent more time researching it and less time eating pasta and drinking grappa ... :P

Lies, damn lies I tell you!

It was only ever Vino Rosso and Vecchio Romagna!

Cheers (hic)

TonyE

Interesting!

The complete denomination of your rifle is Vetterli Vitali Mod.1870/87/16. 1870 refers to the original model of the Swiss Vetterli rifle. 1887 is the year of the modification according to Vitali's project with the addition of a 4 cartridge magazine. In 1916 about 400.000 Mod. 1870/87 were modified to accomodate the now standard 6,5 mm cartridge and distributed to troops that were supposed not to be engaged in direct fighting.

Interestingly the Vetterli Vitali 1870/87/16 reported two important successes. In 1915 a "Territoriale" sentinel in Ancona (a port on the Adriatic Sea) brought down an Austrian airship fireing all his ammunition while laying on his back.

On 28 October 1917near Udine, after the Caporetto breakthrough, another Territoriale (or a Carbiniere according to other sources) killed the German General von Berrer, commander of the LI Army Corps who had gone a bit too forward on his car.

A few Vetterli Vitali 1870/87 in the original 10,35 mm must have been used in the first lines. A few findings of spent cartridges in first line trenches have been reported from different areas of the frontline.

Excellent stuff Franz - thanks!

Could I ask: most of my references give the model designation as VETTERLI 1870/87/15 rather than /16 that you indicate, could you confirm which is correct?

I know the conversions were made in 1916 but is the model officially the /15 or /16?

Do you have access to any pictures of the rifle in service with "Territoriale" troops?

Thanks

Chris

Could I ask: most of my references give the model designation as VETTERLI 1870/87/15 rather than /16 that you indicate, could you confirm which is correct?

I know the conversions were made in 1916 but is the model officially the /15 or /16?

It is quite a difficult question! I could not find (yet) any reference to an official designation.

If you enter in Google "Vetterli Vitali 1870/87/16" you get links to websites which are mostly in Italian. If you enter "Vetterli Vitali 1870/87/15" results are mostly in English.

One reference with 15 is to the Marina Militare (navy) Museum. See here.

As for pictures of Milizia Territoriale carrying this rifle, i will look around....

Best regards

Franz

Those could be Territoriali. I'm not much expert on uniforms, but they all look aged and the rifles look like Vetterli.

Agreed, and they also look like they are still in 10.4mm calibre!

Regards

TonyE