Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl William George KEIVELL/KIEVILL/KIVELL....an enigma!

brimacombe

Amongst my list of Holsworthy names is this guy...

2314 (later 345141) Cpl William George...... Kievell/Keivell/Kivell — depending if you are looking at his MIC, SDGW or CWGC!

I can sort of understand the different spellings, but, I still can't track him down.

KIVELL is a local Holsworthy name (which is given as his place of birth on SDGW). But, having trawlled through census after census I can't find him. Similarly there is no man of that name with any variation of the surname on the GRO. He should be there somewhere around 1889.

CWGC gives additional information that he was the son of William KIEVILL of Frogmure Farm, Crediton.

I seem to be getting nowhere with this guy!

Can anyone help? Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes will see something I am overlooking...

There's no one with surname shown on 1911 census for crediton nor is their on the census for Hosworthy with the correct age - there is a WILLIAM THOMAS KIVELL born 1865 & another born 1908.

Ive tried a search of the 1911 census for the whole country and found this as the only likely match (location is residence in 1911)

KERVILL WILLIAM GEORGE 1892 age 19 Portsmouth Hampshire

WW1 Death Record details from Genes:-

Military Section Army

Forename WILLIAM

Surname KEIVELL

Rank CPL.

Regiment DEVON

Military Number 345141

Year Of Death 1918

Volume Volume I.59; Page 310

Though it's not helpimng find him in the census returns!

Have you tried the local parish church's for a baptismal record? If SDGW is correct about the birthplace, there's a good chance you might find him that way, remember not all kids were registered, but in most cases they'd be baptised.

Another avenue you could look at bearing in mind the misspelling of his name and the phonetic pronunciation is either Keeble or Keable for a birth/census entry, with the high illiteracy rate, a Registrar or Census taker may have had to guess at the spelling.

Sam

My wifes maiden name was Nankivell, while researching her family tree we found many weird and wonderfull variations on the spelling.I just had a look on Ancestry and there are Kivells and Nankivells listed in the 1911 census summary books for Holsworthy,they were neighbours ? (I searched the name Nankivell not Kivell)

The books dont give much details though,just how many males and females in the house.

Maybe looking under Nankivell may help ?

Good luck.Al.