Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M.C.

theodore

Lieut. Col. Thomas Hovenden Watson awarded D.S.O. and M.C. The D.S.O. was awarded when he was seving with the Worcesters but I can't find any details for his M.C. Did he win this award whilst attd. to the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Reg.)? Can any member help please. He was KiA on the 23rd March 1918 serving with the Sherwood Foresters.

Regards

Peter

I can't find any record of him receiving the MC whilst with the Foresters.

Lieut. Col. Thomas Hovenden Watson awarded D.S.O. and M.C. The D.S.O. was awarded when he was seving with the Worcesters but I can't find any details for his M.C. Did he win this award whilst attd. to the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Reg.)? Can any member help please. He was KiA on the 23rd March 1918 serving with the Sherwood Foresters.

Regards

Peter

Thomas Hovenden Watson 1st Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment later Captain (attached) with 1st Battalion the Sherwood Foresters.

Major and in temporary command of the Sherwoods when Lt/Col Sherbrooke was wounded in 1917, being appointed the Battalion 2nd I/C in 1917.

He became Lieut-Col commanding 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters in 1918 and was killed in action by a M.G. Bullet at St Christie.

According to my records i have it the other way round, he won the D.S.O. with the Foresters and the M.C. with the Worcesters but i will re-check.

Also gained the Order of St Stanislas.

By 10 p.m. the enemy had succeeded in gaining a footing on the other side but was unable to progress further into the village owing to our M.G. and rifle fire and the stubborn resistance of our men. Soon after midnight a counter-attack was organised and carried out and the enemy was driven back across the river leaving behind many dead. During these operations the C.O. Lt/Colonel Watson was killed by a M.G. bullet. BRONNO.

Andrew, Bronno and Peter,

Gentlemen thank you all for your replies to my posting for info on Lieut.Col.T.H. Watson and his medal awards. Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards

Peter

• 7 years later...

Hi there,

can anyone tell me the exact medals he received please? I know he received DSO, MC and Imperial Russian Order of St. Stanislas (laus), does anyone now what the others were.... am presuming pip/squeak/wilfred.... were there any others?

thanks

He may not have received Pip - either the 1914 Star or the 1914-15 Star - depending on when he arrived in an overseas theatre of war. He would have been entitled to Squeak & Wilfred, aka Mutt and Jeff - the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, but officers (or their next of kin) had to apply for them, so if his relatives didn't, they may never have been issued.

It is possible that he was awarded other foreign decorations which he didn't intend to wear (and therefore did not have to be entered in the London Gazette) but I think this is unlikely. I can't think of any other campaign medals he may have earned, and any gallantry medals or Mentions in Despatches would have been in the London Gazette.

Ron

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

He may not have received Pip - either the 1914 Star or the 1914-15 Star - depending on when he arrived in an overseas theatre of war. He would have been entitled to Squeak & Wilfred, aka Mutt and Jeff - the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, but officers (or their next of kin) had to apply for them, so if his relatives didn't, they may never have been issued.

It is possible that he was awarded other foreign decorations which he didn't intend to wear (and therefore did not have to be entered in the London Gazette) but I think this is unlikely. I can't think of any other campaign medals he may have earned, and any gallantry medals or Mentions in Despatches would have been in the London Gazette.

Ron

I thought only medals to surviving officers had to be claimed, those to the dead being sent to NOK automatically.

Mike

Hi,

His MIC indicates that his mother applied for a 14 Star, based on a qualification date of either 10th or 14th August 1914.

image.png.8bb15d101ce99c3a4eaea332856ab0b7.png

image.png.4e53b2d87ef39cfc7d28626fd10f226b.png

Images sourced from Ancestry.co.uk - WW1 medal index cards

In the 14 Star roll for the Worcestershire Regiment, my guess would be that he is the 2/Lt T H Watson shown with a dis-embarkment date of 13th August 1914.

His service file is held by the National Archives - link

Regards

Chris

Thanks for this, I think I have acquired his miniature medals, and his whole story is really interesting, especially as I served in the Worcerstershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment

thomas watson.jpg

Edited by SE9Medals
Pic added