Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map Lindenhoek and Kemmel - Peckham

Woody

I am trying to track down a trench map for the area to the East of Kemmel in which the 1/7th Notts and Derbys were

in April - June 1915. I have recently purchased the Belgium Maps - Linesman - Memory Map, but cannot find a map

of the correct period (earliest one seems to be 1916). There is a map in the 1/7th Official History.

Perhaps there are no other maps available. The map referencing appears to be 28 SW2

I am fairly new to tracking down Trench Maps, so forgive me for any obvious stupidity !

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Woody

There is a small hand drawn map in Paul Reed's "Walking the Salient", which shows the Sherwood Foresters on the left flank of the 1/5th Lincs Batt,

this is in front of where Spanbroekmolen appears on later maps....

I've drawn a line of the approx position shown on the map in Paul's book....

(section of map from "Linesman")

regards

Tom

post-5284-013843700 1294065518.jpg

This is a photo of the Notts/Derby area taken last month from Spanbroekmolen mine crater entrance

Tom

post-5284-099483600 1294068934.jpg

I am trying to track down a trench map for the area to the East of Kemmel in which the 1/7th Notts and Derbys were

in April - June 1915. I have recently purchased the Belgium Maps - Linesman - Memory Map, but cannot find a map

of the correct period (earliest one seems to be 1916). There is a map in the 1/7th Official History.

Perhaps there are no other maps available. The map referencing appears to be 28 SW2

I am fairly new to tracking down Trench Maps, so forgive me for any obvious stupidity !

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Woody

Woody,

Do you have the full LinesMan Trench Map product, or have you only bought the Belgian modern backdrop?

Just wondered

Guy

Tom

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for the excellent photo.

I have found a reasonable plan on Page 33 of the Messines Ridge Book by Peter Oldham.

I need to buy the Walking the Salient book - Thanks

Guy

Yes I have the full product - I even bought the ADV3500 GPS from you - well santa delivered it !

Do you know if there are any maps pre 1916 or have I done something wrong on the product?

Cheers

Woody

March/April 1915 ...

post-357-065268300 1294087369.jpg

Tom

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for the excellent photo.

I have found a reasonable plan on Page 33 of the Messines Ridge Book by Peter Oldham.

I need to buy the Walking the Salient book - Thanks

Guy

Yes I have the full product - I even bought the ADV3500 GPS from you - well santa delivered it !

Do you know if there are any maps pre 1916 or have I done something wrong on the product?

Cheers

Woody

Woody,

No you are quite correct, 1916 is the earliest. I have just checked the new 20,000 scale product, as we are topping up with 50x missing 10's from the IWM, but there is no 1915 edition of 28SW2. That means that even the IWM don't have one.

Trust Dave to have one in his trouser pocket! Still it will have been in the wash by now and lost to the world! :D

Guy

March/April 1915 ...

Talk about one-upmanship..!!!! well done Dave.

(Where does he get them from...????)

regards

Tom

This photo, also taken last month, makes up the panorama (taken with the first photo I posted) of the area covered by the Notts/Derby's,

Tom

post-5284-091152500 1294090031.jpg

Amazing!

Thanks very much to everyone who replied, especially for the photos and maps.

Look forward to the Linesman upgrade - looks like another letter to Santa !

Cheers

Woody