Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

34 Squadron in Italy

ChrisM

It's a long shot I know, but does anyone recognise any of the men in this photo ?

It was taken at Milan Aerodrome in November 1917 just after 34 Squadron's arrival in Italy and before its move onward to Istrana.

Thanks.

Chris

post-25-1087901163.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stevenbec

Mate,

I know notting about your question but have one my self.

I have a AIF soldier who is shown as gaining his com with the RFC in Feb 1917.

He was sent to the No3 school of Military aeronuts in Egypt and to 34 Training Sqn RFC.

Are these two 34 Sqn's the same are or they different, was 34 Sqn a Training Sqn before being operational .

Do you have a Lt David McAlary on youe records?

Cheers

S.B

Sorry, stevenbec, but I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

My knowledge of the pre-October 1917 activities of 34 Squadron is sketchy in the extreme. My understanding is that after formation in January 1916 it saw continuous service in France from July 1916 before moving to Italy in early November 1917 where it stayed until the Armistice. This would suggest that 34 T.S. was something different. I'm sure that other forum members will be able to help you more on this.

Equally I have seen no mention of a McAlary. All I can say is that if he was with 34 Squadron he seems to have survived the war.

Chris

Chris/Steve

No 34 Sqn RFC was formed at Castle Bromwich on 7 January 1916 from a nucleus of No 19 Sqn. Its initial equipment was the BE2e. On 10 July 1916 the unit moved to France to operate in the Third (Corps) Wing during the later stages of the Battle of the Somme.

Early in 1917 No 34 Sqn was re-equipped with the RE8 and continued to operate over the Western Front until it was moved to Italy in October. On the Italian Front No 34 was past of the Fifty-First Wing. A flight of Bristol Fighters was added to the squadron but it was eventually removed and became the nucleus for No 139 Sqn.

No 34 Sqn returned to the UK in May 1919 and was disbanded at Old Sarum on 25 September 1919.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Guest stevenbec

Thanks Mate,

Acording to the document (from the RAF Air Ministary in 1924) in McAlary AIF service record shows his going to the 34 TS.

Are you aware of this unit?

AIF papers show him doing training at No 3 School of Military aeronuts which is shown in Egypt but I can find no reference to 34 TS in any records of Training or other Sqn's in Egypt. There are no more references to him after this and the only reason I mention 34 TS is because of this one reference from the RAF.

Do you have Davd McAlary on record or is he one of the many that are not mentioned.

Purhaps the 34 TS is in fact 34 Sqn?

You will also see that this document lists his service from Feb 1917 to 11th Nov 1918. This cut off date is shown on all AIF servicemen records from the RAF, is there a reason for this date other then the Armistce.

S.B

Steve

I can't help you much on this one. Lt D McAlary was lucky enough not to be shot down or killed so he doesn't appear in the standard books.

My guess about No 34 Training Squadron is that it was absorbed into a Training Depot Station - but which one? Some Training Squadrons went on to become full squadrons, sometimes with the same identifying number, sometimes not. Others seem to have disappeared into TDSs. There were a number of TDSs in Egypt in 1918: No 16 TDS at Abu Sueir, No 17 TDS at El Ferdan, No 18 TDS at Ismailia, No 19 TDS at El Rimal, No 20 TDS at Amaria and No 60 TDS at Aboukir. In addition Nos 22, 23 Training Squadrons were at Aboukir and No 58 Training Squadron was at Suez.

Does this help at all?

Gareth

Guest stevenbec

Thanks mate,

Yes, you confirm which I did find out that there is no record of any 34 TS in Egypt.

Purhaps after training in Egypt he was posted to 34 Sqn in France.

Thank again for looking.

S.B