Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Memorial Park 2014-2018" Belgian Government plans.

bierlijn

A mainly Dutch consortium of landscape architects has been appointed to titivate significant WW1 sites in Belgium.

http://www.archeonet.be/?p=15935 - Original Dutch version

http://www.savehill60.org/savehill60/ENparktranslation.html - English translation

There are Hill 60 'Before and after' photos in the Dutch version. But what would be opposite those stone steps?

This is not entirely a public information post, as the Save Hill 60 group is always interested to point out politicians promoting "the crucial role of landscape" and "opening up lines of vision".

Hugh

Hugh,

I've been following this for a very long time, I mean, these plans, since the very start of it.

The general idea is to find a way to bring the various WW I sites together and to link them to one another.

Concerning Hill 60 and other places, the idea is to make things more visible, as you can see on the photo's. That is for example removing the electricity poles etc, to give a more open view to the site.

I don't know if there are further plans with the site, but it would surprise me if they want to change anything to it.

I'll see if I can find more on the matter, and otherwise I will take contact with the cabinet of Geert Bourgeois at Brussels. One thing we do have to say that is that he is a man who follows his projects very closely, and he is also very close to anything with WW I as he comes from the Ypres region and is interested in this personally.

Best from Johan

I forgot to say that it concerns a total of 15 locations, Hill 60, Kemmel, Tyne Cot are among them.

The plans will be worked out in detail this year.

More information can be received at the press attache of Minister Geert Bourgeois :

chris.michel@vlaanderen.be

Best from Johan

I have already mailed them today and am now waiting for an answer.

Just one thing

This is not the Belgian governement but the Flemish one (which is giving subsidies to all the military cemeteries in the area but not to the Belgian ones:devilgrin: )