Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The war book of the German general staff

Skipman

The war book of the German general staff; being "the usages of war on land" issued by the great general staff of the German army

TRANSLATED WITH A CRITICAL INTRODUCTION BY J. H. MORGAN, M.A.

" The text of this book is a literal and integral translation

of the Kriegsbranch im Landkriege issued and

re-issued by the German General Staff for the instruction

of German officers. "

Mike

The war book of the German general staff; being "the usages of war on land" issued by the great general staff of the German army

TRANSLATED WITH A CRITICAL INTRODUCTION BY J. H. MORGAN, M.A.

of the Kriegsbranch im Landkriege issued and

of German officers. "

Mike

I quoted from this in a forum discussion some time ago.I have a repro copy. It was instantly denounced by various members (all with a German connection) as British concocted wartime propaganda (although they didn't appear to have a copy). I therefore did a little more checking - the text in this reproduction appears to match with other translations from other sources. The commentaries on the text by Morgan and others need to be viewed with some critical caution in regard to partiality but any reader of the main text with half a functioning brain probably doesn't need them anyway.

Thanks for that one, Mike. I have been looking at it in listings and wondering if I should add it to the list. I'll be able to browse it now and decide.

Glad to be able to help Tom. It will be of more use to you than I :D I just download these books as searchable pdf files, and save them to DVD and Ext HDD. They're free, and take up a 'wee' bit less room, and that keeps the better half happy.

Cheers Mike

of the 'Kriegsbranch im Landkriege' issued and

of German officers. "

It doesn't inspire confidence that the very first German word in the book is mis-spelt. 'Kriegsbranch' should be 'Kriegsbrauch'.

It doesn't inspire confidence that the very first German word in the book is mis-spelt. 'Kriegsbranch' should be 'Kriegsbrauch'.

Its spelt Kriegsbranch in non English language publications from as early as pre WW1 and is also spelt that way when the work is referred to using its German title in various US legal textbooks of C1915. Possibly English is not the only language to change over time?

Edit However in the modern introduction to my repro copy of the 1915 English translation it is spelt Kriegsbrauch

'Kriegsbranch' is a mis-reading by a non-German-speaker of 'Kriegsbrauch' set in Fraktur type. 'Brauch' from the verb 'brauchen' (to use) means 'custom' or 'usage'. German does change over time - but not in this case.

Errors of this kind can serve a useful purpose, however - to identify poorly-edited works based on secondary sources.

This excerpt gives some insight into the origins of the publication 'Kriegsbrauch im Landkrieg' - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pF9Cxo0f_1QC&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=%22Kriegsbrauch+im+Landkrieg%22&source=bl&ots=eFrZY-dS1D&sig=-Ez4fDv0CaxXskMhP7X5eG5SNKg&hl=en&ei=rCgeTcvwMJKGhQe5gp23Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Kriegsbrauch%20im%20Landkrieg%22&f=false