Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

You're up early Mike. Have you read the whole volume before breakfast? :lol:

Thanks - nice to have this as a reference feature. :thumbsup:

Well it would be if it weren't for the note that "This book cannot be viewed because it is under review by the Million Books Project"!

When it does become available, interested readers should bear in mind that this is Charteris' life of Haig as produced in 1933 for the 'Great Lives' series published by Duckworth. It is largely a 144-page condensed version of his 1929 biography 'Field Marshal Earl Haig', which runs to 400 pages. As the 1933 version is less than half the length of the 1929 book, and unlike the latter has no index, I'd recommend the 1929 biography as being much the better reference source for Charteris' take on Haig.

George

Well the individual bits in the list on the side did click open to me. The first clicked on p50. I'm assuming the rest will all click open.

Same here. So it would appear to be a condensed extract missing the first 49 pages. The full version is well worth reading but I doubt if what Mike found could be very useful.

Scroll down to the bottom of the list on the left and you will see a file marked DJVU. This will open an applet in Firefox - not tried I.E. - which will allow you to read the book. Starting at the title page so nothing missing. I've never seen this applet before so not sure whether it is possible to save the document once open - no obvious way. Don't try to save the link on the page - it only saves the applet not the file. Someone more knowledgeable than me may come to the rescue.

Jim