Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

remington berthier

Khaki

I quote from Bayonets of the Remington Cartridge Period by Jerry L. Janzen: "In 1916, the Remington Company achieved full production of the French Mle 1907/15 Mannlicher-Berthier rifles and bayonets. The U.S. produced bayonets furnished with this contract were the French Mle 1886/15...The Remington produced bayonets differ from the French version in that they have a slightly different grip shape and remained unmarked until delivered to France...Rinald A. Carr (RAC) was assigned from Springfield to inspect the French contract and only 100,000 of the 200,000 rifles ordered were delivered. Quantities of the rifles and bayonets were purchased by the U.S. and remained in U.S. Army stores until officially declared obsolete on April 10, 1959."

It appears some of these Berthiers remained in store in the US for a long time as every so often an absolutely mint example pops up at auction. Quite a lot seem to have been sold off earlier and modified into hunting rifles too.

As an aside, Remington also produced a version of the "rolling block" rifle in 8mm Lebel known in French service as the Model 1915. These too had Remington produced bayonets and the examples I have seen do appear to have been Remington marked.

I did not know about the Remington bayonets for the Berthier rifle - I will have to see if I can track down an illustration of the difference in shape and keep my eyes peeled.

Remington also produced the 1891 Nagant for the Russians and (I believe) the associated bayonet.

Chris

Did the Remington Berthier rifle come with a (US) made bayonet? and were they marked as such??

thanks

khaki

The Remington made Berthier rifle reportedly came with a US made bayonet in the cruciform spike style similar to the Lebel bayonet.

This differs markedly to the normal sword blade bayonet that you would normally associate with the Berthier rifle. The Remington bayonet is a "rosalie", or "epee" style.

See below for a Remington made Berthier rifle and bayonet and also THIS link for some more pictures and info.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-005405900 1293663112.jpg

This differs markedly to the normal sword blade bayonet that you would normally associate with the Berthier rifle. The Remington bayonet is a "rosalie", or "epee" style.

post-52604-005405900 1293663112.jpg

"normal"? I would only associate a blade bayonet with the carbine versions of the Berthier (M1892, M1916) not the full length infantry rifle.

I do not believe I have ever seen photos of blade bayonets mounted on the Berthier 07-15 or 16 rifles.

Chris

OK Correction required, please read "This differs markedly to the normal sword blade bayonet that you I would normally associate with the Berthier rifle carbine. "

As you can see French is not really my strong point, although I've been told that I can speak it quite well when I get really worked up.! :blush:

Cheers, S>S

As an aside, Remington also produced a version of the "rolling block" rifle in 8mm Lebel known in French service as the Model 1915.

Chris

This one is the Remington made bayonet for the Rolling Block rifle as described above.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-004217500 1293808668.jpg

Remington also produced a version of the "rolling block" rifle in 8mm Lebel known in French service as the Model 1915.

These too had Remington produced bayonets and the examples I have seen do appear to have been Remington marked.

Chris

And the marking inscription found on the blade of these bayonets, indicating manufacture by Remington Arms Co. Ilion, New York.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-038000000 1293809257.jpg