Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrick Sweeney

corisande

As part of the work I have been doing on Casement's Irish Brigade I came across this man

Patrick Sweeney who is on CWGC on this link

The CWGC site gives him on the Cologne Memorial with no known grave. As with most of the Irish Brigade it is a long tale, but Sweeney was murdered (link to my page on Sweeney) by another of the Irish Brigade in Feb 1919. This was accepted by the British Army. Though I must confess I could never find out what happened to the accused murderer, Private Carr of the South Lancs Regt

service-record-2a.jpg

I have come across now a reference to where the man is buried. In the debrief of another Irish Brigade man, Mahoney, he says the burial was in the Ost Friedhof in Munich.

mahony-04.jpg

If anyone who has knowledge of these things can do so, can they submit this information to the necessary authority?

Thanks

I had found that site, but they only appear to have a handful of graves on their records, and his is not one of them.

I assume that that site needs the info on where the grave actually is, in order to catalogue it. All I have is the debrief that says he is buried somewhere in that cemetery

Best thing to do is to report to CWGC via Terry Denham at IFCP. My personal opinion is that the grave site was probably lost during WW2.

Chris