Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Medal Group to share with the forum

David_Bluestein

2462 Pte. Alexander Cameron Lindsay

1/9th Battalion (TF) Royal Scots

Alexander Lindsay was born at Edinburgh Scotland on August 18, 1895. He was the son the late William, a Clothier, and Jane Lindsay of 55 Montpelier Park Edinburgh. He was their only son.

Attended Bruntsfield Primary School, and later joined George Heriot's School, on September 27, 1904. He was a ‘Foundationer’, which meant that his fees were paid by the George Harriot's Trust Office, as his father was deceased. Member of the O.T.C Cadet program from 1909-1911, and an agricultural student. He left on July 13, 1911.

Lindsay joined the Royal Scots at Edinburgh on the outbreak of war in August 1914. Arriving with the unit in France in February 1915. The 9th served as a part of the 27th Division, 8th Brigade BEF.

Lindsay was engaged at the Second Battle of Ypres April 22, 1915 where his regiment was heavily involved. They were a member of the famous ‘Geddes Detachment’ that assisted in the attack on Mauser Ridge on April 23, 1915. The 9th Royal Scots are shown as suffering heavily in this assault, those who survived the initial action withdrew due to severe losses.

It was in this action that 19-year-old Alexander Cameron Lindsay was killed in action.

Du Ruvigny’s Memorial book records: ‘…was killed in action during the 2nd Battle of Ypres April 23, 1915, while helping a wounded school fellow after being twice wounded himself. Buried at St. Jean, two and half miles N.E. of Ypres.’

Despite being buried by his pals, Lindsay’s remains were not recovered after the war and his name is therefore commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial for the missing.

Sources

CWGC, SDGW

George Herriot’s School

Du Ruvigny’s Roll Of Honour

David

Thank you for sharing that with us and congratulate you on the hard work that's gone in to the research to find all this out.

A brilliant example why medals should be kept together.Along with the personnal history of Alexander Lindsey,it means so much more.

Are there any surviving family members ??.

Stephen

Edited by STEVEN

Family? Probably somewhere out there. However like with most medals the passage of time and generations weaken the bond to their past. The medal market is jammed with hundreds of such medals that have been looking for a good home, some for decades.

I assure you they have a good home in Canada.

Family? Probably somewhere out there. However like with most medals the passage of time and generations weaken the bond to their past. The medal market is jammed with hundreds of such medals that have been looking for a good home, some for decades.

I assure you they have a good home in Canada.

Yes i imagine the passing of time will weaken that bond with the past and with each passing generation it weakens even more.

Many medals will probably never find a good home.We will never know anything of the recipiants.Alexander Lindseys have and we know something of him, one who will now be remembered and not forgotten.

Stephen

David,

A very good collection and story. I am an ex-Herioter and my wife taught at Bruntsfield School ( not in 1904 though) which is in Montpelier Place. If you want photos to go with it, it's easier to get to than Perth. :lol:

Aye

Malcolm

David: Very nice group and good write-up. The photo of Lindsay looks like it may have been a scan from a photocopy. Below find a scan of the original photo. If you would like a larger copy, email me and I can send it to you. Regards. Dick Flory

post-23-1087834370.jpg

David: Very nice group and good write-up. The photo of Lindsay looks like it may have been a scan from a photocopy. Below find a scan of the original photo. If you would like a larger copy, email me and I can send it to you. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Yes Please! and Thanks! I would be grateful for a better quality photo of Lindsay. The one I have is a very poor photo copy, as you can see from my scan.

Best wishes

David