Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling any Canadian Pals ID this cap badge?

David_Bluestein

I might have some idea as to its identity by a similar item shown in an old 'Jeff Hoare Auction' catalogue c1992. However I have never heard of this before, and would appreciate any thoughts....

The lot was titled:

'Rare Langmark Training School Badge'

Langemark Training School, Rectangular bronze cap badge used in France, April 1915. This CEF badge is exceptionally rare.

The soldier on mine (shown below) is posed differently then from the auction lot. The one from the auction list shows a Canadian soldier spearing a German with a bayonet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

David

post-23-1087828594.jpg

This seems all wrong for a cap badge.

To me, it's a limited edition commemorative badge that wouldn't be found on a cap.

But you are right, it is very unusual. Never seen anything like it before . . .

David

I have seen commemoritve medals such as the one pictured but always on a ribbon. Never seen a lugged one very interesting.

Best regards

N.S.Regt

Hello David, An alternate story on this badge was that it was a sleeve badge, worn as many senior NCO's in the imperial army wore regimental badges. It wouldn't make sense to have training cadre have a badge for a school that was transient in staff and membership.

Bill's reply makes sense. It might also be that Hoare got the description wrong in the first place. Wouldn't it follow that there should be a Ypres Training School? And that we are going to see a Sanctuary Wood Vocational Institute badge someday?

(I have never dealt with Hoare, but wasn't his house selling the Konowal VC until the Queen's Cowboys were called in?)

Thanks to all for some good suggestions. This ‘badge’ seems to remain a mystery. I will post any finding in future.

Regards

David

• 2 months later...

Spotted one in this auction. It seems to have a lug on top though.

A very nice trio too.

Thanks for that Chris. I really appreciate you hunting down this old post. The mystery continues....

As a side note, I owned this group to Neil, and sold it to a chap local to London Ontario, who had an interest in the group as the recipient was buried nearby.

I guess Mr. Neil needs a new home?

David, Norm Christie has a photo of the "bayonetted soldier" version in his book, "The Canadians at Ypres". He took the photo so I imagine he may have it in his collection.

Oh, to have some extra cash to spend!